Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 47 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 6, 2007
- Originally Released: 1988
- Label: Lions Gate
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 08/12/1988
"...A good-humored exercise....Sustains its spirit of fun..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/12/1988
"...It has a slick, smoky vigor....[Semler] keeps the landscapes looking stripped down, austerely handsome..."
British ranchowner John Tunstall (Terence Stamp) hires six young men to help him tend and guard his ranch. In addition he also teaches them to read and to be civilized, but soon Tunstall is murdered by a corrupt and ruthless competing cattle rancher. The six 'young guns' go seeking revenge and are erroneously branded outlaws by the law, until they can clear their names. The six young guns are played by Emilio Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips, Charlie Sheen, Dermot Mulroney and Casey Siemaszko.
Propelled by a rock 'n' roll soundtrack and populated by a handful of hot young Hollywood actors, "Young Guns" is a Western for the MTV generation. Set in 1870s New Mexico, it follows the career of six juvenile delinquents hired to defend the ranch of a British cattle baron. When the rancher is killed by town officials, the boys rebel against the powers-that-be by transforming themselves into a band of outlaws led by none other than Billy the Kid.
- Estimated budget of $13 million.
- Additional distributors: Star Production (France); Version International Group (international sales)
- Filmed in Deluxe color and Panavision in Cerrillos, New Mexico.
- Began shooting February 8, 1988; completed shooting March 1988. Released in the USA August 12, 1988. Shown at Deauville Film Festival, September 1988. Released on video January 4, 1989.
- Followed by the 1990 sequel "Young Guns II."
- Based on a true story.