Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 48 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 31, 2009
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Package Note: Blue BD Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Surround Sound 5.1 - English, French
- PCM 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- "Designing a Hybrid"
- "H.R. Giger at Work"
- Director and Cast
- Director, Producer, and Visual Effects Crew
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 07/07/1995
"...SPECIES is a kick to the finish....It ingeniously combines the schlocky fun of '50s sci-fi flicks with the shock tactics of ALIEN..."
Variety - 07/10/1995
"...Gripping....An effective thrill machine, delivering action and suspense that should engage all viewers..."
Los Angeles Times - 07/07/1995
A genetically engineered, shape-shifting creature with extraterrestrial intelligence adopts the form of a beautiful woman to mate with humans and unleash a brood of offspring that will destroy mankind. A team of experts must band together to stop her--it--from accomplishing its diabolical mission. Special editions contain behind-the-scenes footage with creature creator H.R. Giger.
A team of scientists decide they must gas to death a young girl named Sil. Why' Because she is the result of an experiment in which human DNA was mixed with that of a (possibly nefarious) alien race. But Sil has plans of her own, so she breaks out of the gas chamber and escapes. This prompts Fitch, the head scientist, to gather a team to track the child down. Unfortunately, they may have trouble recognizing their prey, because Sil has turned herself into a lethal, sexy, adult woman... whose goal is to procreate as soon as possible. The fetching mutant embarks on a number of sexual encounters -- most of which have gruesome results for her partners.
Will Sil, who finally changes into a hideous, slimy monster, defeat our heroes... and breed a new generation of mutants'
Theatrical Release |
- Released theatrically in the USA July 7, 1995.
- Shot in Panavision.
Color by DeLuxe.
- Sound in DTS stereo.
- Additional credits:
Visual Effects: John Mann (designer); Ellen M. Somers (production supervisor); Jim Rygiel (co-supervisor); Dave Jones (model supervisor); Theo Waddell (editor).
Computer Graphics: Jacques Stroweis (digital consultant); Sean Phillips (technical advisor); Janice Lew, Maurice Bastian (digital model supervisors); Dale Baer (animation consultant).
- H.R. Giger's designs for the creature were brought to life by four-time Academy Award-winning special effects designer Richard Edlund ("Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark"). He used high-speed computer imagery to animate the action that could not be simulated by a stunt expert. This enabled the film to come up with a fluidity for the monster's maneuvers that helped create the illusion of movement.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Classification.