Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 59 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 20, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Sony Pictures
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Package Note: Blue BD Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- PCM 5.1 - English, Chinese (Mandarin), French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: "Creating the Visual Effects"
- Interactive Features:
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Premiere - 12/01/2004
"The action sequences are often joltingly spectacular..."
New York Times - 12/03/2004
"[A] gorgeous entertainment, a feast of blood, passion and silk brocade."
Los Angeles Times - 12/03/2004
"Zhang reveals bold finesse at pulling off an emotion-charged epic of style and sophistication that is exciting and at times humorous."
USA Today - 12/03/2004
"[A}n orgy of spellbinding visuals: dazzling acrobatics, mesmerizing martial arts, sumptuous settings and resplendent costumes. With its high drama and historical setting, it is more like an opera than a movie."
Rolling Stone - 12/09/2004
"[With] a lyrical love story, head-spinning fights and dazzling surprises....Prepare your eyes for popping."
Uncut - 01/01/2005
"Zhang Yimou returns with another beautifully wrought incursion into classical Chinese folklore."
Entertainment Weekly -
"[A]n outrageously gorgeous spectacle of balletic aggression....[With] a romantic passion that's woven into the very fabric of the action."
Sight and Sound - 01/01/2005
"HOUSE is lushly emotional, intimate and intricately tricked out....Zhang has always deployed colour and design with immense skill..."
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 12/01/2004
"[T]he ravishing visual compositions add a magical note to this tragic tale."
Empire - 12/01/2008
4 stars out of 5 -- "[T]he real delight here is the inspired fights, the lyrical love story and the twisty-turny narrative."
Period Piece |
- THEATRICAL RELEASE: DECEMBER 3, 2004
- This film was included in the 42nd New York Film Festival organized by the Film Society of Lincoln Center.