Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 53 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 6, 2008
- Originally Released: 1996
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.39
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - French
- Dolby Digital Tru HD 5.1 Surround - English
- Subtitles - English (SDH), French - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Music Video: "Human Being" - Van Halen
- Featurette: CHASING THE STORM: TWISTER REVISITED
- Making Of: HBO FIRST LOOK: THE MAKING OF TWISTER
- Audio Commentary: Jon De Bont - Director; Stefen Fangmeier - Visual Effects Supervisor
- Documentary: The History Channel Documentary Nature Tech: TORNADOES ANATOMY OF A TWISTER
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 05/24/1996
"Flying cows are an excellent thing in a movie....Eye-popping..." -- Rating: B
Variety - 05/13/1996
"...[A] theme park ride of a movie....Paxton and especially Hunt bring a great deal of vigor to their [characters]....De Bont's direction is muscular..."
New York Times - 05/10/1996
"...TWISTER stays as uptempo and exuberant as a roller-coaster ride....With a kinetic energy that keeps up with the characters..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 05/10/1996
"...The movie is wall-to-wall with special effects and they're all convincing..."
In this action-packed disaster film set in America's heartland, an ex-husband-and-wife team of storm chasers rushes to be the first to study the dynamics of tornados with some fascinating new technology. Though Helen Hunt (AS GOOD AS IT GETS) and Bill Paxton (APOLLO 13) star--along with a pre-fame Philip Seymour Hoffman--the uncredited lead roles are the tornados, created with eye-dazzling computer-generated effects. SPEED director Jan de Bont takes the helm for this massive box office hit, while bestselling author Michael Crichton contributed the fast-moving story. TWISTER earned Academy-Award nominations for its achievements in sound and visual effects.
This special effects-laden blockbuster chronicles one day in the life of a band of gung-ho "storm chasers," who track and follow twisters and tornadoes. The group, led by the gutsy Jo and her macho, soon-to-be-ex Bill, have invented "Dorothy," a tank containing sensors that can provide much-needed info about these mysterious, severe weather conditions.
But in order for Dorothy to work, she first must be swallowed by a twister. So Jo, Bill, and the gang put their lives on the line innumerable times, as getting close to the storm means dodging everything from windswept cattle to flying oil tankers.
For Jo and Bill in particular, making meteorological history means having firsthand experience of the inside of a twister...
- Released theatrically in the USA on May 10, 1996, "Twister" created a storm, blowing away the competition with its $41 million gross its opening weekend, breaking box office records in the process.
- Digitally mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.
- Each Warner Home Video VHS version includes a 30-second public service announcement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency about preparing for the kind of natural disaster that is depicted in the film. The tie-in represents an unprecedented partnership between the federal government and a major motion picture studio.
- Color by Technicolor; in Panavision widescreen; in DTS and SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound).
- Additional cast: Zach Grenier (Eddie) and Scott Thomson (Preacher).
- Additional credits: Patrick Sullivan (set design) and Stefen Fangmeier (visual effects supervisor).