Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 5 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: January 23, 2007
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French, Spanish
- Subtitles - French, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary
- High Definition Theatrical Trailers
- Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"If [the navy divers]'s lucky, he dies young two hundred feet beneath the waves. Because that's the closest he will ever get to becoming a hero."
- Billy Sunday (Robert De Niro) to diving trainees
"Some things just don't mix, do they'"
- Mister Pappy (Hal Holbrook) to Billy Sunday
"Why do you want this so badly'"--Jo (Aunjanue Ellis)
"Because they said I couldn't have it."
- Carl Brashear (Cuba Gooding Jr.)
"Since when does deserving mean anything'"
- Billy Sunday to Carl Brashear
USA Today - 11/10/2000
"...Cuba Gooding Jr. [gets to] flex both physical and acting muscles for once....De Niro cagily crafts Sunday, a composite character, into a memorable and complex creation..."
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 12/01/2000
"...Gooding conveys fierce dignity and simmering power..."
Box Office - 11/01/2000
"...Gooding's solid performance is one of the most powerful aspects of MEN OF HONOR....[He] creates a credible depiction of Brashear's phenomenal strength of character..."
Total Film - 04/01/2001
"...Gooding Jr. is effortlessly appealing as Brashear and you'll root for him to succeed....Very noble..."
Los Angeles Times - 11/10/2000
"...Gooding and De Niro have the talent to pull it off, and the film emerges as a dynamic entertainment with the punch of an especially spectacular sports event..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 11/10/2000
"...[Cuba Gooding Jr.] delivers a strong, convincing performance....The movie sells itself..."
African Americans |
- Theatrical release: November 10, 2000.
- MEN OF HONOR was shot in Washington and Oregon. A naval base set was built from scratch on the Oregon side of the Columbia River.
- Estimated budget: $32 million.
- Cuba Gooding Jr., producer Robert Teitel, director George Tillman Jr., and the actors playing the diving trainees all dove once at a navy facility so that they could get a real sense of the task's danger and difficulty.
- The MEN OF HONOR script was sent to the U.S. Department of Defense in the preproduction stage in order to ensure the navy's cooperation.
- Though the script was based on Carl Brashear's true story, the character played by Robert De Niro--Billy Sunday--was invented by the screenwriter.
- Carl Brashear advised the special effects crew throughout filming.
- MEN OF HONOR was originally titled NAVY DIVER but was changed in July 2000.