Django Reinhardt The Essential Django Reinhardt (2-CD)
LOW STOCK: Only 3 copies left
|You Save:||$1.13 (8% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Django Reinhardt ~ The Best of Django Reinhardt [Capitol / Blue Note] ~ $12.14
- by Django Reinhardt ~ The Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order (5-CD Box Set) ~ $26.08
- by Django Reinhardt ~ Djangology [Bluebird] ~ $7.18
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 15, 2011
- Label: Sony Legacy
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Minor Swing
- 2.Beyond the Sea
- 3.The World is Waiting For the Sunrise
- 4.Django Castle (Manoir De Mes Rˆves)
- 5.Dream of You
- 7.It's Only a Paper Moon
- 8.I Saw Stars
- 10.Swing Guitars
- 11.All the Things You Are
- 12.A Tisket a Tasket
- 13.September Song
- 14.Heavy Artillery (Artillerie Lourde)
- 15.Improvisation On Tcha¡kowsky's "Path‚tique" Andante
- 17.Where Are You My Love? (Ou-Es-Tu Mon Amour?)
- 18.Russian Songs Medley
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 2.I'll Never Be the Same
- 4.Jersey Bounce
- 5.I Surrender Dear
- 7.Anniversary Song
- 8.After You've Gone
- 9.Swing 42
- 10.Stormy Weather
- 11.Brick Top
- 12.Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be)
- 13.I Got Rhythm
- 14.Honeysuckle Rose
- 15.Saint-Louis Blues
- 16.Sophisticated Lady
- 17.Darktown Strutter's Ball
- 18.Royal Garden Blues
Liner Note Author: Michael Dregni.
Recording information: Rome (01/1949-05/1950).
Photographers: William Gottlieb; Mary Evans; Michael Dregni.
Considering that Django Reinhardt recorded prolifically in the quarter-century between 1928 and 1953, it might a bit presumptuous to title this collection The Essential Django Reinhardt. For this two-CD, 36-track anthology is drawn entirely from recordings made in Rome in 1949 and 1950. That's a relatively narrow time frame of work from a musician acknowledged as one of the masters of jazz guitar, and indeed one of the most influential guitarists of all time. It's fair enough to concede that this certainly comprises some of the essential recordings he laid down, however, and that listened to with or without comparison to his entire oeuvre, they're very good. About two-thirds of them were cut in January and February 1949 as part of the quintet also featuring his famed collaborator St‚phane Grappelli on violin. The others were made in April and May of 1950 as part of an entirely different, violin-less quintet, Andr‚ Ekyan playing alto sax and clarinet, two instruments not heard on the 1949 tracks. Regardless of the context, Reinhardt's playing is excellent and the bands sympathetic, the guitarist showing himself capable of adapting to changing times in jazz with arrangements that swing, but in a more modern way than his earlier efforts. A good number of his own compositions (some written with Grappelli) are included, along with some popular standards and jazz classics by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, and Fats Waller. Some material goes beyond these boundaries, such as a "Russian Songs Medley," an improvisation on a Tchaikovsky piece, and W.C. Handy's "St. Louis Blues." Reinhardt actually cut about three times as much as material from these sessions, but for those who just want a manageable slice of quality work from the period, it's a fine compilation. This reissue, incidentally, was originally produced in 1983, and previously released as The Indispensable Django Reinhardt (1949-1950). ~ Richie Unterberger
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 4 ratings.
Based on 4 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Rare But Great Recordings! Music Lover: Louis Toscano from HACKETTSTOWN, NJ US -- February, 4, 2015
Django really showed us that any material is fair game for the guitar.
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Fun: 43-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE