Matt Molloy Heathery Breeze
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Matt Molloy ~ Contentment Is Wealth ~ $15.28
- Released: June 14, 1993
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Shanachie
- 1.Moving Cloud
- 2.The Bush In Bloom / Drogheda Bay / Jenny's Chickens
- 3.Heathery Breeze / Long Strand
- 4.Slieve Russell / Jimmy Wards J.G.
- 5.Drowsie Maggie
- 6.Silver Slipper / Frieze Britches
- 7.The Hare in the Heather
- 8.Idir Deighric 'Gus Breo'
- 9.The Contradiction / Yellow Tinker
- 10.Fisherman's / Ship In Full Sail / Out On The Ocean
- 11.'Good Morning, Nightcap?' / 'Bohola'
- 12.Spoil the Dance
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Irish flutist Matt Molloy is best known as a member of the Chieftains, but his solo albums are deserving of much more attention than they generally get. On Heathery Breeze Molloy is accompanied only sparely, by Donal Lunny on guitar, bouzouki, and synthesizer and, on a couple of tracks, by guitarist Michael O'Domhnaill. The album opens with one of the most beautiful tunes in the Irish repertoire, "Moving Cloud," which Molloy plays with offhanded grace at a hair-raising tempo; he dispatches "The Bush in Bloom" and the title track with similar ease and aplomb. But the album's most inspiring moments come later, when the tempos ease and the mood darkens a bit. Molloy's mid-tempo interpretations of the modal slip jigs "Silver Slipper" and "Frieze Britches" are revelatory, as is his highly ornamented but generally restrained rendition of "The Hare in the Heather." The album ends with an almost hornpipey take on a reel entitled "Spoil the Dance." Very highly recommended, though not to Irish flutists with tender egos. ~ Rick Anderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$8.48 Super Savings
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE