- "AMC Backstory: 'Peyton Place'"
- Movietone News Footage
- Languages: English, Spanish, French
- Subtitles: English, Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: March 2, 2004
- Originally Released: 1957
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dual Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Mono - English, Spanish, French
- Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Terry Moore, Russ Tamblyn - Stars
- "AMC Backstory: Peyton Place"
- Movietone Newsreel Footage
- Theatrical Trailer
- Teaser Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 04/26/1991
"...Varsi and Kennedy are especially good..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Based on Grace Metalious' best-selling novel, Peyton Place
received an impressive nine Oscar nominations in 1957, including Best Picture. Lana Turner's acclaimed performance as Constance MacKenzie, the single mother of a beautiful teen (Diane Varsi), earned her a Best Actress nomination (Varsi received Best Supporting Actress consideration as well).
While Constance and the other parents in a picture-perfect New Hampshire town strive to keep their teenagers on the straight and narrow, scandals take place around them: A drunken school caretaker (Arthur Kennedy, nominated for Best Supporting Actor) traumatizes his stepdaughter, which prompts a murder, a trial and the revelation that nothing is as it seems in this beautifully photographed, spell-binding drama filled with top-notch performances.
The lives and love lives going on behind closed doors in a small New England town create a sizzling saga of passion and scandal. Academy Award Nominations: 9, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actress--Lana Turner, Best (Adapted) Screenplay.
An entertaining adaptation of the best-selling, controversial Grace Metalious novel set in a small New England town. Although everything seems picture-perfect in Peyton Place, there are actually many troubles brewing within the town including infidelity, illegitimacy and rape. Among the many memorable characters we meet are Constance and her defiant daughter Allison, who finds out, much to her shock, that she's an illegitimate child. Then there's Selena Cross, who has a tense relationship with her alcoholic stepfather, a school caretaker who eventually rapes the girl and continues abusing her -- until it leads to murder.
- The film was made into a very successful and popular television series in the 1960s, starring Mia Farrow and Ryan O'Neal.
- Shot in Cinemascope. Color by DeLuxe.
- The film was shot on location in Camden, Maine.
- Its original running length was 162 minutes.