- Released: September 12, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Zoho Music
Q - p.1293 stars out of 5
-- "[I]t's a very lively restatement of sharp, old-style rhythm and blues..."
Down Beat - p.834 stars out of 5
-- "Turner, an unwearied guitarist, rides a rocket of tortured feeling on 'Rockin' Blues,' and he catches his groove playing piano in several places."
- 1.Gimme Back My Wig - (with Ike Turner)
- 2.Caldonia - (with Ike Turner)
- 3.Tease Me - (with Ike Turner)
- 4.Goin' Home Tomorrow - (with Ike Turner)
- 5.Jazzy Fuzzy - (with Ike Turner)
- 6.I Don't Want Nobody - (with Ike Turner)
- 7.Jesus Loves Me - (with Ike Turner)
- 8.Love Like Yours, A - (with Ike Turner)
- 9.Senor Blues - (with Ike Turner)
- 10.Eighteen Long Years - (with Ike Turner)
- 11.Rockin' Blues - (with Ike Turner)
- 12.After Hours - (with Ike Turner)
- 13.Big Fat Mama - (with Ike Turner)
- 14.Bi Polar - (with Ike Turner)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Ike Turner (vocals, guitar, piano).
The often-controversial Ike Turner is unfortunately best known for his behind-the-scenes contributions to R&B and rock & roll (he claims his "Rocket 88" was the first rock-&-roll record) and his violence toward his former wife, the singer Tina Turner. But this set is evidence that, after more than six decades as a musician, he's still more than capable of producing a compelling collection of down-and-dirty blues and funk. Starting with the deep groove of "Gimme Back My Wig" and a nod to his roots on the jump blues of "Caledonia," Turner also revisits "A Love Like Yours," which he and Tina first recorded in 1966 with Phil Spector. And his unapologetic, gospel-tinged "Jesus Loves Me" points an accusing finger back at his unforgiving critics.