- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 2 hours, 6 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 19, 2009
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English - Closed Captioned
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes: "The Making of the True Story" (Parts 1-4)
- Alternate Scenes: Deleted Scenes (w/Optional Commentary)
- Trailers: MGM Previews
- Audio Commentary: Werner Herzog - Director; Norman Hill - Interviewer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Entertainment Weekly - 09/29/2006
"[With] dark Nietzschean insinuations and ferocious performances from Christian Bale and Steve Zahn."
Box Office - 11/01/2006
"Bale plays his character with much bravado..."
Premiere - 12/01/2006
"[W]ith an authenticity and eccentricity that's pure Herzog....Just as rousing and involving as any more conventional film of the sort you could name."
Rolling Stone - 05/31/2007
"Herzog builds incredible tension without losing sight of the toll war takes on what makes us human."
Entertainment Weekly - 07/13/2007
"Zahn and Bale enact an enthralling masculine duet. Out of a harrowing story set in a foreign thicket, Herzog has found American beauty." -- Grade: A-
USA Today - 07/06/2007
"Bale turns in a mesmerizing performance....Steve Zahn, a fellow captive, shows he has the chops for serious drama."
Total Film - 11/01/2007
4 stars out of 5 -- "Christian Bale is phenomenal....Gripping, emotional and, oddly, gloriously optimistic."
Empire - 10/19/2007
3 stars out of 5 -- "Echoes of Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo reverberate around Dengler's predicament."
Uncut - 12/01/2007
3 stars out of 5 -- "Immensely watchable, gripping and thematically of a piece with the likes of AGUIRRE WRATH OF GOD..."
Fighter Pilots |
Theatrical Release |
True Story |
- Theatrical Release: July 4, 2007