- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 14 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: 2008
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: Criterion
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.66
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono 1.0 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: "Lindsay Anderson: Lucky Man'"
- Interviews: Lois Sutcliffe Smith
- Audio Commentary: Paul Ryan; David Storey
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- MEET THE PIONEERS (1948)
- WAKEFIELD EXPRESS (1952)
- IS THAT ALL THERE IS' (1992)
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Cannes 1963 -
Best Actor: Richard Harris
Total Film - 03/01/2000
"...Film as close-up theatre - stark and lingering..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
Entertainment Weekly - 08/09/1996
"...An erotic dance of death...[and] a fascinating glimpse into the complexities of British class structure." -- Rating: B+
Empire - 12/01/2008
5 stars out of 5 -- "Lindsay Anderson's film of David Storey's novel [is] the last great showing of the 1960s wave of British realism."
Character Study |
Love Affairs |
- Theatrical release: July 16, 1963.
- Shot at Beaconsfield Studios in London, England.
- Feature film debut for documentary director Lindsay Anderson.
- Glenda Jackson has a very small uncredited part.
- Irish actor, Richard Harris, first appeared on film in ALIVE AND KICKING (1958), directed by Cyril Frankel. He received "above the title" billing, after Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard, in MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (1962). But it was THIS SPORTING LIFE that catapulted him to stardom and won him the Best Actor Award at Cannes.