- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 28 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: January 31, 2012
- Originally Released: 1942
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- English, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Total Film - 07/01/2006
3 stars out of 5 -- "Jean Luc Godard's 1968 footage of The Rolling Stones in their swarthy, flamboyant prime is as much a socio-political propaganda piece as it is a rockumentary."
The sweeping saga of a prominent wealthy family's attempt to adapt to the changing times at the close of a decadent age. Though mutilated by studio executives before studio release, this film remains a masterpiece of directorial artistry, as Welles refined the techniques of shadow, quick-cutting, camera angles, and sound manipulation he used for the previous year's "Citizen Kane" and actually edited the film while it was being shot. Based on a novel by Booth Tarkington. Academy Award nominations: 4, including Best Picture, Best Supporting Actress (Agnes Moorehead), Art Direction-Set Direction, and Cinematography. Winner, Best Actress (Agnes Moorehead) by the N.Y. Film Critics.
Essential Cinema |
Family Interaction |
- THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1991.