- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 15, 2012
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Miramax Echo Bridge
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 06/??/2000
"...[Law is] sexy and mesmerizing....[The director] supplies some stylish, effectively creepy moments..."
Entertainment Weekly - 07/21/2000
"...A philosophical thriller....Intriguing..." -- Rating: B+
Jude Law portrays Steven, a gorgeous man whose life is devoted to seducing women. He also may or may not be a murderous vampire. After an endless string of unsuccessful relationships, he meets Anne, who threatens to curb his uncommitted ways. The mystery surrounding Steven's vampirism, combined with a steamy eroticism, makes for a thrilling viewing experience in this film from Leong, making his first return to the director's chair since 1991's ONCE UPON A TIME IN SHANGHAI.
Chinese director Po Chih Leong's (HONG KONG 1941) darkly elegant thriller THE WISDOM OF CROCODILES is an addition to the modern urban vampire genre, alongside movies like NADJA and THE ADDICTION.
Steven Grslcz (Jude Law), a strikingly handsome London medical researcher, seems to have everything. This includes, however, the habit of gruesomely killing his girlfriends. Steven is a vampire, and he is thus on a constant quest to seduce women in order to feed his blood thirst. The twist is that the women must love him in order for their blood to provide sustenance. A smoothly effective killer, Steven is thrown off track by the beautiful, independent Anne Levels (Elina L÷wensohn), who challenges him to balance his good and evil sides. Meanwhile, after the discovery of Steven's last victim, Maria (Kerry Fox), suspicious policeman Inspector Healey (Timothy Spall) keeps close watch on Grslcz. Steven believes his quest for "perfect love" has ended with Anne--but this love may actually kill him. Will Steven be redeemed by Anne's love, and if so, will he live to enjoy it'
Erotic Thrillers |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: July 14, 2000 (USA - Limited)
- The film's title comes from the Francis Bacon quote, "It is the wisdom of crocodiles that shed tears when they would devour."
- Elina L÷wensohn (Anne Levels) plays the vampire, not the victim, in Michael Almereyda's NADJA.
- Jude Law (Steven Grslcz) garnered a Best Supporting Actor nomination for his role as Dickie Greenleaf in THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY (1999).
- Director Po Chih Leong has directed fifteen feature films, most of which were filmed in Cantonese in Hong Kong.