- Released: December 31, 1990
- Label: Pearl
- 1.Dance Little Lady (This Year of Grace)
- 2.I'm More Than Satisfied
- 3.My Heart Stood Still
- 4.My Dream Memory (Street Girl)
- 5.Nicolette (Waltz)
- 6.Didn't I Tell You
- 7.Little Dream Nest
- 8.Song of the Sea
- 10.Then I'll Be Tired of You
- 11.Punch and Judy Show, The (Novelty Piece)
- 12.Ambrose's Jubilee Cavalcade: Wee Doch-An-Doris / Alexander's Ragtime ...
- 13.Humming to Myself
- 14.For You (Waltz)
- 15.Lovable and Sweet
- 16.'S Wonderful
- 17.Me and the Man in the Moon
- 18.Take Your Finger Out of Your Mouth
- 19.Whispering Pines of Nevada, The (Waltz)
- 20.Birth of the Blues
- 22.Chirp Chirp (That's a Good Girl)
- 23.Roll Away Clouds
This collection features music that was originally broadcast from the Mayfair Hotel (London) in the 20s and 30s. The CD contains 22 tracks that were released originally by the English Brunswick, HMV, and Decca labels.
Personnel includes: Ambrose (violin).
Personnel: Elsie Carlisle, Rhythm Sisters, Sam Browne (vocals).
Recording information: Mayfair Hotel, London, England (06/??/1927-03/07/1935).
Unknown Contributor Role: Bert Ambrose & His Orchestra.
Arranger: Ronnie Munro.
Bert Ambrose led one of the most popular dance bands in England during the 1920s and '30s. His group -- who featured arranger Sid Phillips on reeds, American clarinetist Danny Polo, trumpeter Max Goldberg, and trombonist Lew Davis as key soloists -- sometimes played very credible jazz. The hotter selections contrasted with the ballad vocals of Sam Browne. This well-rounded 14-selection LP is highlighted by "Out of Nowhere," "Singapore Sorrows," the heated "'Leven-Thirty Saturday Night," and "A Bench in the Park," with the band sometimes emulating Paul Whiteman and various American dance bands. ~ Scott Yanow