- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 39 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 2, 2003
- Originally Released: 1991
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 03/07/1991
"...Roberts remains a marvel..."
Entertainment Weekly - 12/02/1994
"...[Roberts's] most wide-ranging performance..."
Laura's life with her handsome and successful husband seems perfect to those looking at it from the outside. But behind closed doors, Laura resides in a personal hell. Her husband is a psychotic, controlling perfectionist, and his escalating emotional and physical abuse eventually leads the desperate Laura to plot her escape. One stormy night she leaps from the bow of her husband's sailboat and swims for shore. Her husband initially believes that she drowned; meanwhile, Laura "resurfaces" in a college town in Iowa. Attempting to rebuild her shattered life, Laura changes her name, takes a new job in the campus library, and makes friends with a sensitive and sweet drama teacher. But this happiness proves to be ephemeral when her crazed husband gets wise to the deception and turns up in the Midwest determined to bring his wife back home -- whatever it takes.
Love Story |
Theatrical Release |
- Color by DeLuxe; locations included Wilmington, North Carolina, and Spartanburg, Abbeville and Clinton, South Carolina.
- Estimated budget $20 million.
- Michael London is credited as executive in charge of production.
- One of the film's advertising tag-lines was: "She changed her name. Her looks. Her life. All to escape the most dangerous man she's ever met. Her husband."
- In the early stages of the project, Kim Basinger and Aidan Quinn were offered the lead acting roles.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Censors.