- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 8 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: January 31, 2006
- Originally Released: 1972
- Label: New Video Group
- Additional Release Material:
- Excerpts from Thoth's One Man Opera
- Filmaker Biographies
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'm in town to give the devil two black eyes!"
- Marjoe Gortner (HIMSELF), at the age of six.
"I'm a hype, but I'm not a bad hype."
- Marjoe Gortner (HIMSELF), as an adult.
Academy Awards 1972 -
Best Documentary Feature
This Oscar-winning documentary explores the life of evangelist Marjoe Gortner.
The son of professional evangelists, Marjoe was already preaching at the age of three and performing marriages one year later. Although he left the pulpit at 14, he soon returned to religion.
Through home movies, interviews and footage of Marjoe leading revival meetings, the film shows how this admitted huckster was able to convince and excite audiences with his fiery performances.
The subject, 28 at the time of the movie's release, also discusses his plans for the future, noting that he's once again planning to retire from the pulpit.
As it turned out, he would go on to become an actor, starring in numerous B-films and in 1974's "Earthquake."
- A Cinema 10 production.
- Released theatrically in New York City on July 24, 1972.
- Marjoe's evangelist parents named him by contracting the names Mary and Joseph.