Blind James Campbell Blind James Campbell and His Nashville Street Band
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
- by Various Artists ~ Richer Tradition: Country Blues and String Band Music 1923-1942 (4-CD) ~ $26.08
- Released: June 1, 1995
- Label: Arhoolie Records
Living Blues - 9-10/95, pp.86-87"...Campbell's music was meant for entertainment not deep contemplation. The rhythms are strong and well suited for dancing, and both the arrangements and the vocals have a swinging brightness that makes them hard to resist. This roots string band music, some of the best of the post-war era, comes heartily recommended."
The Fader (magazine) (p.153) - "Their repertoire blended jazz, hillbilly, blues, early R&B and string band music into a high-energy swing that could refocus at a moment's notice."
- 1.Have I Stayed Away Too Long?
- 2.I'm Crazy About You Baby
- 3.Buffalo Gal
- 4.Will the Circle Be Unbroken
- 5.The Moon May Rise in Blood
- 6.John Henry
- 7.Baby Please Don't Go
- 8.Jimmy's Blues
- 9.Monkey Man Blues
- 10.This Little Light of Mine
- 11.Detroit Blues
- 12.Beauford's Breakdown
- 13.Gambling Man
- 14.Sittin' Here Drinking
- 15.Jam Piece (George's Boogie) - (previously unreleased)
- 16.I Never Had Nothing - (previously unreleased)
- 17.Do You Remember (Theme Song) - (previously unreleased)
- 18.My Gal Got Evil - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
- 19.Beauford's Boogie Woogie - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
- 20.When the Saints Go Marching In - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
- 21.I Am So Blue When It Rains - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
- 22.Pick and Shovel Blues - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
- 23.Detroit Jump - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
& His Nashville Street Band.
James Campbell's Friendly Five: James Campbell (vocals, guitar); Beauford Clay (fiddle, banjo); Bell Ray (fiddle, guitar, vocals, percussion); George Bell (trumpet); Ralph Robinson (bass horn, tuba).
Recorded in Nashville, Tennessee between October 25, 1962 and April 14, 1963. Includes liner notes by Chris Strachwitz.
All songs written by James Campbell.
Personnel: Blind James Campbell (vocals, guitar); Bell Ray (vocals, guitar, fiddle, tuba); Beauford Clay (banjo, fiddle); George Bell (trumpet); Ralph Robinson (tuba, horns).
Liner Note Author: Chris Strachwitz.
Recording information: Nashville, TN (10/25/1962-04/14/1963).
Photographer: Chris Strachwitz.
Arranger: Blind James Campbell.
On their lone release, Blind James Campbell and His Nashville Street Band serve up a singular blend of blues, jazz, old-time, skiffle and jug band music; while their material is traditional, the presentation is anything but, with a tuba taking the place of bass guitar and Campbell's gravelly voice going lower and deeper than either. ~ Jason Ankeny
WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!