Lightnin' Hopkins Hopkins Brothers: Lightnin', Joel, & John Henry (Live)
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$1.70 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
by Pink Anderson ~ Carolina Blues Man, Volume 1 $10.56
- Released: October 22, 1991
- Label: Arhoolie Records
- 1.See About My Brother John Henry -Lightning Hopkins
- 2.Hot Blooded Woman - (with John Henry Hopkins)
- 3.Black Hannah - (with Lightnin' & John Henry Hopkins)
- 4.I Want to Go Fishing - (with John Henry Hopkins)
- 5.Doin' Little Heiffer - (with John Henry Hopkins)
- 6.Hey, Baby Hey - (with John Henry Hopkins)
- 7.Saddle up My Grey Mare - (with John Henry Hopkins)
- 8.Tell Me, Tell Me - (with John Henry Hopkins)
- 9.Little Girl - (with Lightnin' Hopkins)
- 10.I Got a Brother in Waxahachie - (with Lightnin' Hopkins)
- 11.Matchbox Blues - (with Joel Hopkins)
- 12.Home With Mama - (with Joel Hopkins)
- 13.Come Down to My House - (with Lightnin' Hopkins)
- 14.Grosebeck Blues - (with Lightnin' & Joel Hopkins)
- 15.Dice Game, The - (told by Lightnin' Hopkins)
- 16.I Walked From Dallas - (with Joel Hopkins)
- 17.Two Brothers Playing (Going Back to Baden-Baden) - (with Lightnin' & Joel Hopkins)
Personnel: Sam "Lightnin'" Hopkins (vocals, guitar), Joel Hopkins (vocals, guitar), John Henry Hopkins (vocals, guitar).
Recorded in Waxahachie, Texas on February 16, 1964 and in Houston, Texas on March 17, 1965.
Includes liner notes by Chris Strachwitz.
This session was an improvised country blues get-together between "Lightnin'" Hopkins and his brothers Joel and John Henry, featuring a number of solo and duo performances.
Personnel: Lightnin' Hopkins (vocals, guitar); Joel Hopkins (vocals, guitar).
Recording information: Waxahachie, TX (1964).
Photographers: Chris Strachwitz; Wayne Pope.
A once-in-a-lifetime meeting of the three Hopkins brothers in Waxahatchie, TX in 1964 produced this marvelous brace of field recordings. The oldest brother was considered the best songster in the family, and certainly his performances here are throwbacks to a more archaic style, although he's an amazingly energetic performer. Middle brother Joel is the crudest of the three, surprising since he's the one of the three who spent the most time around mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson. These are loose, conversational recordings made with a single microphone. They capture three brothers enjoying each other's company immensely. ~ Cub Koda
Rhythm & Blues Christmas, Volume 1 (Audio Cassette)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
The Best of Bobby Bland - 20th Century Masters / Millennium... (CD)(7)
$8.34 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!