- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 45 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 29, 2003
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: New Video Group
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentary: Joe Berlinger & Bruce Sinofsky - Directors
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Biographies: Filmmaker
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 02/04/1993
"The year's best documentary....BROTHER'S KEEPER has the texture, emotion and raw urgency of a Woody Guthrie anthem - it keeps coming back to haunt you..."
New York Times - 09/09/1992
"...A rich slice of Americana....[BROTHER'S KEEPER] haunts the mind..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/26/1993
"...BROTHER'S KEEPER, the year's best documentary, has an impact and immediacy that most fiction films can only envy. It tells a strong story, and some passages are truly inspirational..."
Entertainment Weekly - 08/01/2003
"...A gripping courtroom drama is enlivened by a glimpse into a rarely seen corner of rural America..."
USA Today - 08/01/2003
"...1992' s most critically praised movie was BROTHER'S KEEPER....Exceptional..."
Family Interaction |
Tear Jerker |
Theatrical Release |
- Release date: March 26, 1993 (Limited)
- Munnsville, NY, where the film takes place, has a population of 499.
- BROTHER'S KEEPER was filmed over a period of nine months.
- Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinfosky won the "Best Director" award from The Director's Guild of America.
- The film was placed on over 50 American film critics' "10 Best Films of 1992" lists.
- BROTHER'S KEEPER was broadcast on PBS's AMERICAN PLAYHOUSE in May of 1994.
- Sinofsky and Berlinger discovered the story of the Ward brothers, and thus the subject of their documentary, in an article in The New York Times.
- BROTHER'S KEEPER won The 1992 New York Film Critics Circle and the 1992 National Board of Review Awards for "Best Documentary." It also won the "Audience Award" at 1992's Sundance Film Festival.