Frank Zappa Chunga's Revenge
Only 9 copies left
|CYBER SALE:||$12.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.39 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 31, 2012
- Originally Released: 2012
- Label: Zappa Records
Uncut (magazine) - p.69"CHUNGA'S REVENGE is his first attempt to assemble a smaller, more streamlined band."
- 1.Transylvania Boogie
- 2.Road Ladies
- 3.Twenty Small Cigars
- 4.The Nancy & Mary Music
- 5.Tell Me You Love Me
- 6.Would You Go All the Way?
- 7.Chunga's Revenge
- 8.The Clap
- 9.Rudy Wants To Buy Yez a Drink
Personnel: Frank Zappa (vocals, guitar, harpsichord, drums, percussion); George Duke (vocals, trombone, electric piano, organ); Jeff Simmons (vocals, bass); Mark Volman, Howard Kaylan (vocals); Ian Underwood (electric alto saxophone with wah-wah pedal, guitar, piano, electric piano, organ, pipe organ); Sugar Cane Harris (organ); Max Bennett (bass); John Guerin, Aynsley Dunbar (drums).
Engineers include: Dick Kunc, Stan Agoi, Roy Baker.
Recorded at T.T.G. Inc. and The Record Plant, Hollywood, California; Whitney Studios, Glendale, California; Trident Studios, London, England. "The Nancy & Mary Music" was recorded live at the Tyronne Guthrie Theater, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Digitally remastered by Bob Stone.
Recording information: T.T.G. Inc., Hollywood; The Record Plant, Hollywood; Trident Studios, London; Whitney Studios, Glendale.
Illustrator: Cal Schenkel.
Arranger: Frank Zappa.
This 1970 release finds Zappa and band at the apex of their improvisational powers. CHUNGA'S REVENGE largely eschews both high concept and satire in order to focus on the considerable jamming expertise of Zappa and his cohorts. In its original LP form, the album was divided into two discrete halves. The first side consists of extended, largely instrumental pieces where Zappa and his musicians stretch out and show off their improv chops over relatively simple, often blues-based structures. The keyboard-based instrumental interlude "Twenty Small Cigars" provides an interesting semi-classical change of pace.
Side two contains shorter, vocal-oriented numbers, with harmonies that draw on the doo-wop influence of Zappa's youth (a recurrent element in his work). Slightly schizophrenic though it may be, CHUNGA'S REVENGE is something of a showcase for the members of Zappa's group, displaying their vocal and instrumental interaction to fine effect.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Pop / Rock genre:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $5.98 CYBER SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Freddy Cannon Have A Boom Boom Christmas!! (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Various Artists The Best of Christmas: 25 Original Hits by the Original Artists (Disc 3) (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER SALE