- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 45 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: January 6, 2004
- Originally Released: 1949
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Monaural - English
- Stereo - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind-the-Scenes in Germany (Without Sound)
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Premiere - 09/01/1994
"...Cary, Cary, Cary!..." - Recommended
USA Today - 09/09/1994
"...The banter is textbook Hawks, and the red-tape satire is as hilarious as both leads..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Stationed to work side-by-side on a mission in post war Germany, French army officer Henry Rochard (Grant) and American WAC Lieutenant Catherine Gates (Ann Sheridan) fall in love.
But just when they decide to marry, Catherine is ordered back to the US -- alone! The only way for an alien, including her husband, to enter the US with her, is through the congressional act governing war brides. SoÉthe resourceful Catherine does the obvious -- disguises her husband as a sister WAC in this hilarious classic that the whole family will enjoy.
In post-World War II Germany, American Lieutenant Catherine Gates and French army officer Henri Rochard fall in love and marry. However, on the day they speak their "I dos," Gates's ship sets sail for the States. Rochard succeeds in getting aboard the boat as a "war bride," but, unhappily, he cannot bunk with his new wife due to military regulations. For the life of these two honeymooners, they can't succeed in consummating their marriage, until, one day, the Army sees that strict rules can actually be broken -- especially in the name of love.
Love Story |
Scams And Cons |
Switching Roles |
Theatrical Release |
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Classification.
- A Sol C. Siegel production.
- The majority of the film was shot on location in Germany.