Jimmy Witherspoon The 'Spoon Concerts (Live)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$16.93 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.05 (11% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: February 4, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Fantasy
- 2.Time's Gettin' Tougher Than Tough
- 3.How Long Blues
- 4.Corina, Corina
- 5.C.C. Rider
- 6.Roll 'Em Pete
- 7.Every Day
- 8.Goin' to Kansas City
- 9.Outskirts of Town
- 10.Trouble in Mind
- 11.St. Louis Blues
- 12.No Rollin' Blues
- 13.Good Rockin' Tonight
- 14.Big Fine Girl
- 15.Ain't Nobody's Business
- 16.When I Been Drinkin'
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Previously released as two separate LPs.
2 LPs on 1 CD: JIMMY WITHERSPOON AT MONTEREY (1959)/WITHERSPOON, MULLIGAN, WEBSTER AT THE RENAISSANCE (1959).
Personnel: Jimmy Witherspoon (vocals); Woody Herman (clarinet); Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins (tenor saxophone); Gerry Mulligan (baritone saxophone); Roy Eldridge (trumpet); Jimmy Rowles, Earl "Fatha" Hines (piano); Leroy Vinnegar, Vermon Alley (bass); Mel Lewis (drums).
Recorded live at the Monterey Jazz Festival, Monterey, California on October 2, 1959 and the Renaissance, Hollywood, California on December 2 & 9, 1959. Originally released on Hifijazz (J-421) and (J-426).
This single CD (which reissues all of the music from an earlier two-LP set) includes the high point of singer Jimmy Witherspoon's career. On October 2, 1959, he appeared at the Monterey Jazz Festival and created such a sensation that it caused his career to go through a renaissance. Heard at the peak of his powers, Witherspoon holds his own with a mighty group of veterans (trumpeter Roy Eldridge, both Ben Webster and Coleman Hawkins on tenors, clarinetist Woody Herman, pianist Earl Hines, bassist Vernon Alley, and drummer Mel Lewis). Although the five-song set only lasted 25 minutes, Witherspoon's performance was the hit of the festival. The other half of this CD features Witherspoon romping through ten mostly traditional blues songs two months later with Webster, baritonist Gerry Mulligan, pianist Jimmy Rowles, bassist Leroy Vinnegar, and drummer Mel Lewis; the performance is equally exciting. Highly recommended, this CD is the one truly essential Jimmy Witherspoon release. ~ Scott Yanow
TNT Jackson (1979) / The Black Godfather (1974) (DVD-R)(25)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 2 - Disc 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE