- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 10, 2012
- Originally Released: 1993
- Label: Sony Classics
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Premiere - 03/01/1995
"...Mesmerizingly odd..." - Recommended
Sight and Sound - 07/01/1994
"...Intelligent....Elegiac, austere and amused..."
New York Times - 12/27/1994
Ranked #4 in The New York Times's "Best Films of 1994"
Variety - 09/27/1993
"...An assured melange of dramatic recreation, archival material and interviews, it is a uniquely entertaining venture..."
USA Today - 04/18/1994
"...The film is stylishly made, and there are wonderful sequences giving an abstract visual representation of Bach..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 03/04/1994
"...[The film] breaks with tradition and gives us a movie that actually inspires us to think about what it was like to be this man..."
A unique look at the life of celebrated pianist Glenn Gould, this film operates as a collage of 32 vignettes designed to paint the overall picture of the man, his life, and his work. The film won four Canadian Genie Awards, including Best Picture and Best Director.
The eccentric psychology and iconoclastic spirit of Canadian concert pianist Glenn Gould are explored in 32 brief sections that structurally echo Bach's "Goldberg Variations."
- Presented by Rhombus Media.
- Additional production companies: Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Société Radio-Canada, RTP-Portugal, NOS-Television, Oy Yleisradio AB (YLE), Glenn Gould Limited.
- Copyright 1993 Rhombus Media.
- Rated BBFC U by the British Board of Film Classification.