Charley Patton Best of Charley Patton
|You Save:||$1.80 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: November 10, 2003
- Originally Released: 2003
- Label: Yazoo
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Down the Dirt Road Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes2.It Won't Be Long
- $0.99 on iTunes3.High Water Everywhere, Pt.1
- $0.99 on iTunes4.High Sheriff Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Mississippi Bo Weavil Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Lord, I'm Discouraged
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Shake It and Break It
- $0.99 on iTunes8.Rattlesnake Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Screamin' and Hollerin' the Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes10.A Spoonful Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Pony Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Magnolia Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Moon Going Down
- $0.99 on iTunes14.I'm Goin' Home
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Elder Green Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Jim Lee Blues, Pt.1
- $0.99 on iTunes17.Banty Rooster Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes18.Jersey Bull Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes19.I Shall Not Be Moved
- $0.99 on iTunes20.Going to Move to Alabama
- $0.99 on iTunes21.Pea Vine Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes22.Green River Blues
- $0.99 on iTunes23.Bird Nest Bound
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Digitally remastered in 2003.
Personnel includes: Charley Patton (vocals, guitar).
Includes liner notes by Steve Calt and Don Kent.
Audio Remasterer: Richard Nevins.
Liner Note Authors: Don Kent; Stephen Calt.
Were Charley Patton alive today, he'd most likely be pleasantly surprised by the durability of his records. Who could've imagined that the musings of a Delta guitarist, recorded for Paramount in the late 1920s and early 1930s, would be treated as relics of art 60 and 70 years later? The Best of Charley Patton includes 23 cuts, 70 minutes of music, and offers an excellent introduction to those not quite ready to spend the big bucks on the available box sets. There's "High Sheriff Blues," a song recalling Patton's arrest in Belzoni, Mississippi for drunkenness, and "Pony Blues," his signature song that dated back to the beginning of his career in 1910. He's joined by fiddler Henry "Son" Sims on "Going to Move to Alabama," and plays some mean bottleneck guitar on "Mississippi Bo Weavil." Yazoo reserved a paragraph of the liner notes to address the problems of transferring Patton's music from worn-out 78s. A certain level of noise, it seems, is a fact of life with these recordings. Yazoo achieves a balance here, cutting down as much surface noise as possible without sapping the dynamics of the performance. The cleanest cuts comprise the first half of the album and two cuts, "High Sheriff" and "Jersey Bull," appear at their proper speed for the first time on this collection. The Best of Charley Patton is a fine, one-stop collection by the "King of the Delta Blues." ~ Ronnie D. Lankford, Jr.
Son HouseThe Complete Library of Congress Sessions, 1941-1942
$15.62 Super Savings
Son HouseFather of The Delta Blues: The Complete 1965 Recordings...
$16.52 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 12 ratings.
Based on 12 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$1.98 on SALE