A Place in the Sun
|You Save:||$1.30 (10% Off)|
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 1 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 14, 2001
- Originally Released: 1951
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Interviews: Cast & Crew
- Audio Commentary: George Stevens, Jr. - Son of producer/director, Ivan Moffatt- Associate Producer
- Featurette: GEORGE STEVENS: FILMMAKERS WHO KNEW HIM
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Selection
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor & Shelley Winters|
|Performer:||Shepperd Strudwick, Kathryn Givney, Frieda Inescort, Raymond Burr, Walter Sande & Herbert Heyes|
|Directed by||George Stevens|
|Edited by||William Hornbeck|
|Screenwriting by||Michael Wilson & Harry Brown|
|Composition by||Franz Waxman|
|Art Direction by||Hans Dreier & Walter Tyler|
|Story by||Patrick Kearney|
|Produced by||George Stevens|
|Director of Photography:||William C. Mellor|
"...An American tragedy..." -- Rating: A
"Winner of six Oscars, George Stevens' adaptation of Theodore Dreiser's 'An American Tragedy' was considered the last word in adult frankness when it was released in 1951..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Clift is a poor young man determined to win a place in respectable society and the heart of beautiful socialite Elizabeth Taylor. Shelly Winters plays the factory girl whose dark secrets threatens Clift's professional and romantic prospects. Consumed with fear and desire, Clift is ultimately driven to a desperate act of passion that unravels his world forever.
Handsome George Eastman is guilty of just one thing: being born on the wrong side of the tracks. But this hard-working young man plans to improve his social standing. When he meets Angela Vickers, a beautiful society lass, love blossoms. But a long separation leaves George lonely and uncertain of their future. So he begins a clandestine affair with homespun, mill-worker Alice. Once George's relationship with Angela is rekindled, he'll have to figure out how to get rid of Alice'
- A PLACE IN THE SUN was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1991.
- Won six Academy Awards, including Best Screenplay and Best Direction.
- Filmed at Cascade Lake and Lake Tahoe, Nevada.
- Second screen version of Dreiser's controversial novel from the 1920s. The first was titled "An American Tragedy," directed by Josef Von Sternberg in 1930, and starred Phillip Holmes, Sylvia Sidney and Frances Dee.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 275 ratings.
This fabulous film forever established Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift as American cinema stars.
It is a beautiful and tragic love story that clearly illustrates that we are all capable of being truly belonging to the college song that states: "we are poor little lambs that have gone astray ..bah..bah..bah".
- UPC: 097360581546
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Scarlett - Complete Mini-Series (DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Edition) (DVD + CD Soundtrack) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Dirty Dozen / Stalag 17 (2-DVD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.