Sam Cooke Night Beat
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 20, 2005
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Vibe - 10/95, p.140"...Cooke was sometimes called 'the black Sinatra,' and NIGHT BEAT shows exactly why. With spare, jazz-inflected backing, he offers the sort of loosely swinging, nuanced delivery that few besides Frank could ever match..."
- 1.Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen
- 2.Lost and Lookin'
- 3.Mean Old World
- 4.Please Don't Drive Me Away
- 5.I Lost Everything
- 6.Get Yourself Another Fool
- 7.Little Red Rooster
- 8.Laughin' and Clownin'
- 9.Trouble Blues
- 10.You Gotta Move
- 11.Fool's Paradise
- 12.Shake Rattle and Roll
Personnel: Sam Cooke (vocals); Rene Hall, Barney Kessel, Clifton M. White (guitar); Raymond Johnson (piano); Billy Preston (organ); Clifford Hils (bass); Hal Blaine, Edward J. Hall (drums).
Producers: Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore.
Reissue producers: Jody Hart Klein, Gregg Geller, Lenne Allik.
Recorded at RCA Victor Studios, Hollywood, California on February 22-23 and 25, 1963. Includes liner notes by Robert Palmer.
Personnel: Sam Cooke (vocals); Rene Hall (conductor); Clif White, Barney Kessell (guitar); Raymond Johnson (piano); Billy Preston (organ); Edward Hall
(bass, drums); Clifford Hills (bass); Hal Blaine (drums).
Producers: Hugo & Luigi.
Reissue producer: Paul Williams.
Recorded in February 1963. Includes liner notes by Michael Hill.
Digitally remastered by Bill Lacey (Digital Sound & Picture, New York, New York).
Liner Note Authors: Luigi; Peter Guralnick.
Recording information: RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA (02/22/1963-02/25/1963).
By 1963 Cooke was a big enough star to call his own shots in the studio, and NIGHT BEAT is the result of his desire to make an intimate, artistic album that abandoned pop arrangements in favor of intimate soul-jazz settings. Accompanied by a small band that includes drum legend Hal Blaine and a very young Billy Preston on organ, he tackles a batch of tunes that were close to his heart. From the mournful, set-'em-up-Joe feel of "Lost And Lookin'" to the randy blues of Willie Dixon's "Little Red Rooster," Cooke pours out his heart. Freed from pop strictures, Cooke allows himself to stretch out vocally, his singing at its most unfettered and emotional throughout NIGHT BEAT.
The Complete Solo Singles, As & Bs, 1957-62 (2-CD)
$14.22 Super Savings
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 13,414
- UPC: 886919858624
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
R&B: Soul Music Categories:
- The 5th Dimension The Age of Aquarius (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Aquarius Let The Sunshine In (CD) ~ $9.88
The 5th Dimension
The Essential 5th Dimension (2-CD)
$14.46 Super Savings
The 5th Dimension Greatest Hits on Earth (CD) ~
$6.14 Super Savings
The 5th Dimension The Magic Garden (CD) ~
$13.99 Super Savings
Top ranking titles in the Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection series:
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Jukebox Hits of The '60s - Rockin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Cyrkle Red Rubber Ball (A Collection) (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop As Seen On TV, Volume 6 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE