Bill Frisell The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved
|You Save:||$0.39 (2% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Bill Frisell ~ Big Sur ~ $11.77
- by Miles Davis ~ Miles At The Fillmore, 1970: The Bootleg Series Volume 3 (4-CD) ~ $42.51
- Released: March 27, 2012
- Originally Released: 2012
- Label: 429 Records
Rolling Stone - p.743.5 stars out of 5 -- "[With] a soundtrack composed by jazz guitarist Bill Frisell, who colors the tale with skewered Dixieland brass, shivering strings and groaning woodwinds."
- 1.Overture (My Old Kentucky Home)
- 2.I Got Off the Plane Around Midnight...
- 3.At the Airport Newstand
- 4.The Next Day Was Heavy...
- 5.The Governor, a Swinish Neo-Nazi Hack...
- 7.On Our Way Back to the Motel
- 8.It Was Saturday Morning, the Day of the Big Race...
- 9.In a Box Not Far from Ours...
- 10.Sometime Around 10:30 Monday Morning...
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Composer: Bill Frisell.
Tributee: Hunter S. Thompson.
Personnel: Jenny Scheinman (violin); Eyvind Kang (viola); Hank Roberts (cello); Doug Weiselman (woodwinds); Ron Miles (trumpet); Curtis Fowlkes (trombone); Kenny Wollesen (drums, percussion).
Audio Mixers: Vanessa Parr; John Kilgore; Martin Brumbach.
Recording information: John Kilgore Sound & Recording, New York, NY; The Village, West LA, CA.
Actors: Dr. John; John Joyce; Will Forte; Annie Ross; Ralph Steadman; Tim Robbins .
The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved is technically the first piece of gonzo journalism from maverick writer Hunter S. Thompson, whose loose-cannon approach to covering the 1970 Kentucky Derby for Scanlan's Monthly included never actually seeing the race, and instead documented the careening alcohol and drug-fueled world surrounding the event. Reprinted years later in Thompson's The Great Shark Hunt, it is much beloved by Thompson fans. This spoken word presentation of it actually turned out pretty interesting, with Tim Robbins turning in a wonderful reading as Thompson, and Bill Frisell's often eerie musical soundtrack making things into a kind of sound collage that somehow fits Thompson perfectly in tone and spirit. This is an audio book with some serious gonzo kick, which is as it should be. ~ Steve Leggett
In Lambeth: Visions from the Walled Garden of William Blake (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!