- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 37 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 29, 2002
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Walt Disney Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Surround - French
- Dolby Surround - Spanish
- THX Mastered Audio
- Additional Release Material:
- Making Of: THE MAKING OF THE SANTA CLAUSE
- Interactive Features:
- Scene Access
- Interactive Menus
- Interactive Games: FLY SANTA'S SLED
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Additional Text: Holiday Recipes
- DVD-ROM Features:
- DVD-ROM Games: LETTER TO SANTA
- Screen Saver
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 11/11/1994
"...A clever, entertaining children's film with a realistic edge and a minimum of seasonal mush....[Leads Allen] to bright prospects on the big screen..."
Los Angeles Times - 11/11/1994
"...There's a real edge to this picture, yet it doesn't cut out the youngsters who will find so much to embrace in this genuinely imaginative work with its amazing special effects and an enchantingly realized -- and immense -- Santa's workshop kingdom..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 11/11/1994
"...THE SANTA CLAUSE is often a clever and amusing movie, and there's a lot of fresh invention in it..."
When Santa Claus gets killed in a freak accident after being startled on the rooftop of a house, it looks like Christmas is ruined. But fortunately, just before his death, the jolly, gift-giver passed the torch to ad executive Scott Calvin (Tim Allen), who finishes the job of bestowing holiday cheer on all. When he finally reaches on the North Pole, however, Scott learns that he can't give up the job -- he's become the next Santa Claus. (THAT'S the Santa Clause!). Scott returns home, only to find himself slowly changing into the pudgy, white-haired old man so beloved of children... and to find that everyone around him considers him utterly and completely mad.
Description by Buena Vista Home Entertainment.:
The Santa Clause: Special Edition
Superstar comedian and Golden Globe(R) winner Tim Allen shines bright in Disney's magical, larger-than-life hit comedy that "People" magazine dubbed "The most playfully amusing, inventive cinematic ... fable in several decades!" Now in this all-new special edition DVD release, your entire family can enjoy never-before-seen bonus footage, interactive games, and more, making this original holiday classic a joyful new experience!
Family Interaction |
- Feature film debut for TV star and comedian Tim Allen.
- Additional credits: Chris Danton (unit production manager),
Alan Edmisten, Michael Johnson, & Marcel Saumure (assistant directors), Carolyn Soper (visual effects producer), Nikki Amorosino (special effects), and Barry R. Koper (key makeup).
- BBFC rated U by the British Board of Film Classification.