- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 23, 2003
- Originally Released: 1971
- Label: Paramount
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
This television adaptation of Earl Hamner Jr.'s autobiographical novel formed the basis for the series "The Waltons."
Set during the Great Depression, "The Homecoming" centers on a family living in the Virginia mountains. This year, everyone worries they will have a lean Christmas, because there's so little money to celebrate.
This anxiety is heightened, however, when the family learns that the bus on which the father commutes to work each day has crashed. The eldest son, feeling the first sensations of adulthood and responsibility, decides to leave home to reach the scene of the accident.
As they wait for news of their father's fate, the family members stick together and, in the process, discover the true meaning of Christmas.
Family (General) |
Family Life |
Made-For-Network TV |
- Additional cast: Sally Chamberlain.
- Originally broadcast on CBS-TV.
- "The Homecoming" was spun off into the hit TV series "The Waltons."
- Copyright 1971 Columbia Broadcasting System.