The Prince and the Showgirl
Warner Bros. DVD Clearance Sale (series)
11 copies available
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 3, 2012
- Originally Released: 1957
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Announcement Newsreel
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- English, French
- Subtitles - English, French, Japanese, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Marilyn Monroe & Laurence Olivier|
|Performer:||Sybil Thorndike, Jeremy Spenser, Esmond Knight, Paul Hardwicke, Rosamund Greenwood, Maxine Audley & Laurence Olivier|
|Directed by||Laurence Olivier|
|Edited by||Jack Harris|
|Composition by||Richard Addinsell|
|Cinematography by||Jack Cardiff|
|Story by||Terence Rattigan|
|Produced by||Laurence Olivier|
Laurence Olivier is the Carpathian prince visiting England for the coronation of George V. Marilyn Monroe is Elsie Marina, an American actress doing a musical review at a nearby theater. When an old flame of the prince's turns out to be Elsie's boss at the theater, their paths cross--and Elsie's determined not to let them uncross. After the prince confirms her worst fear--that he's interested only in a quick seduction--she nonetheless finds herself falling for him. As his mother-in-law takes a shine to Elsie, she finds herself attending every official function of the coronation--to the chagrin of the prince and her jealous boss. The crusty prince must decide whether to let love into his duty-bound life, and Elsie must decide if happily-ever-after ever really comes true. Olivier shines in his dour, bumbling straight-man role, while Monroe is at her charming, luminous, naive best.
This modern Cinderella story teams Marilyn Monroe with Laurence Olivier in an unlikely story of romance between a visiting European potentate and a lowly but attractive British showgirl. The English government, anxious to please the influential leader, helps push the two together--despite the beautiful young woman's confusion and protests in the early stages of the courtship.
- The film was shot at Pinewood Studios in London.
- Tension abounded on the set. Monroe was nervous and insecure at working with the legendary British actor; Olivier found her unprofessionalism and neediness tiresome; and Olivier's then-wife, Vivien Leigh, was consumed with jealousy throughout the production.
- Monroe spends most of the film in a form-fitting, borderline-too-small white evening dress completely anachronistic to the period. (The film is set in 1911.)
- In 1975, Britain's equivalent of the Tony awards were named the Oliviers.
Marilyn Monroe Collection (10-DVD) [Korean Import]
$19.37 Super Savings
There's No Business Like Show Business (Marilyn Monroe...
$10.84 Super Savings
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 66 ratings.
Based on 66 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
3-2-1 Penguins: The Amazing Carnival of Complaining (DVD)
$7.98 on SALE
4 Film Favorites: Martial Arts Collection (Rumble in the... (DVD)
$6.98 on SALE
4 Film Favorites: Romance (The Bachelor / Laws of... (DVD)
$6.98 on SALE
4 Film Favorites: Slasher Films Collection (Texas Chainsaw... (DVD)
$8.98 on SALE
The Masquers Club: The Pre-Code Comedies Collection (DVD-R) TOP 10 Bestseller
Rare Shorts from the Golden Age of Hollywood (DVD-R) TOP 25 Bestselling DVD
The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and... (DVD)
$1.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD:
- The Decade You Were Born: The 40s - A Decade of War & Invention (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Decade You Were Born: The 60s - A Decade of Hope & Promise (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Decade You Were Born: The 50s - A Decade of Change in America (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Petrified Forest (DVD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- WWII - Eagle Against the Sun: 10-Part Series of the War with Japan (2-DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE