- Number of Discs: 3
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 36 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 2, 2007
- Originally Released: 1979
- Label: Image Entertainment
- 3-Disc Set
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.78
- Dolby Digital 5.0 - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
A reputedly faithful cinematic depiction of the historical events of Caligula's Rome, including the decadence and debauchery that marked his reign. This notorious release has faced rather hysterical hostility from would-be censors. Financed by Penthouse Magazine magnate Bob Guccione, who was accused of inserting hardcore sex scenes after completing photography with the impressive and esteemed cast of British actors. Contains graphic sex and violence. The R-rated version is shorter by 53 minutes!
"Caligula" is Bob Guccione's star-studded pornographic look into the world of Ancient Rome. It depicts the lusty and demented Caesar Caligula during his short-lived stint as Emperor of the mighty Roman Empire. While in power, Caligula had an affair with his sister and forced senators' wives to prostitute themselves. Caligula was finally assassinated by his own officers and replaced with his dim-witted cousin Claudius.
Ancient World |
- Theatrical Release: February 1, 1980.
- This film originally received an "R" rating from the MPAA, but it surrendered its rating a year later, and is now officially "Unrated."
- Writer Gore Vidal and director Giovanni Tinto Brass both took their names off the credits after the completion of the film. The credits are: "adapted from an original screenplay by Gore Vidal" and "principal photography by Tinto Brass." Additional pornographic scenes were helmed by Guccione himself.