Louis Jordan At the Swing Cat's Ball
- Released: August 10, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Mca
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Choo Choo Ch'Boogie
- $0.99 on iTunes2.At the Swing Cat's Ball
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Flat Face - (TRUE instrumental)
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Keep a Knockin'
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Swingin' in a Coconut Tree - (TRUE instrumental)
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Doug the Jitterbug
- $0.99 on iTunes7.The Chicks I Pick Are Slender, Tender and Tall
- $0.99 on iTunes8.All for the Love of Lil
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Reet Petite and Gone
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Barnyard Boogie
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Have You Got the Gumption?
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Chicky-Mo, Craney-Crow
- $0.99 on iTunes13.You're Much Too Fat (And That's That)
- $0.99 on iTunes14.Safe, Sane and Single
- $0.99 on iTunes15.Onion - (TRUE instrumental)
- $0.99 on iTunes16.Beans and Corn Bread
- $0.99 on iTunes17.School Days (When We Were Kids)
- $0.99 on iTunes18.It's a Great, Great Pleasure
- $0.99 on iTunes19.Hog Wash
- $0.99 on iTunes20.(Crazy 'Bout) Lollypop
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Louis Jordan (vocals, alto & baritone saxophones); Josh Jackson, Lem Johnson, James Wright, Eddie Johnson, Maxwell Davis, Lowell Hastings (tenor saxophone); Aaron Izenhall, Courtney Williams, Eddie Roane, Bob Mitchell (trumpet); Wild Bill Davis, Bill Doggett, Clarence Johnson (piano); Charlie Drayton, Jesse Simpkins, Dallas Bartley, Billy Hadnott (bass); Eddie Byrd, Walter Martin, Joe "Chris Colombus" Morris (drums).
Producers include: Milt Gabler, J. Mayo Williams.
Compilation producers: Peter A. Grendysa, Andy McKaie.
Recorded between 1946 & 1954. Includes liner notes by Peter A. Grendysa.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Louis Jordan (alto saxophone, baritone saxophone); Bert Payne, Carl Hogan , James Jackson, Bill Jennings (electric guitar); James Wright , Lowell Hastings, Lem Johnson, Maxwell Davis, Josh Jackson (tenor saxophone); Earle Warren (baritone saxophone); Courtney Williams, Aaron Izenhall, Eddie Roane, Bob Mitchell (trumpet); Chester Lane, Clarence Johnson , Arnold Thomas, Bill Doggett (piano); Eddie Byrd, John Kirkwood, Walter Martin (drums).
Liner Note Author: Peter Grendysa.
Recording information: LA, CA (03/29/1938-01/04/1954); New York, NY (03/29/1938-01/04/1954).
Released as an attempt to cash in on the swing revival that swept through America in the late '90s, MCA's At the Swing Cat's Ball contains 12 songs that spotlight Louis Jordan's hardest-swinging material. Since Jordan towered above most jump blues practitioners in the '40s, it's easy to enjoy the compilation, even if you question the reasons behind its assembly. Since it concentrates on swinging material, it isn't a strict hits compilation (even though there are hits here), but that probably won't bother Generation Y swingers, whom this compilation is clearly targeted at. ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
99¢ on SALE