The Highwaymen The Folk Hits Collection
Hurry! Only 1 copy left Sorry no back-orders
|You Save:||$1.40 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: October 30, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Varese Sarabande
Dirty Linen - p.57"This CD is chock full of folk chestnuts, including Paxton's 'Ramblin' Boy,' Leadbelly's 'Good Night Irene' and 'Cotton Fields,' as well as traditional tunes."
- 1.I'll Fly Away
- 2.Cotton Fields
- 3.Marching to Pretoria
- 4.Cindy, Oh Cindy
- 5.Michael (Row the Boat Ashore)
- 6.The Sinking of the Reuben James
- 7.Mighty Day
- 8.Well, Well, Well
- 9.The Gypsy Rover
- 10.I Know Where I'm Going
- 11.Roll on Columbia, Roll On
- 12.I'm on My Way
- 13.Ramblin' Boy
- 14.Red Is the Rose
- 15.Whiskey in the Jar
- 16.Big Rock Candy Mountain
- 17.Good Night Irene
- 18.No. 1
- 19.Old Folk Music (With Some Sweet Rock 'N' Roll) - (previously unreleased, bonus track)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Adapter: Steve Butts.
Personnel: Steve Butts (vocals, guitar, banjo); Chan Daniels (vocals, guitar, charango); Steve Trott (vocals, guitar, mandolin); Gil Robbins, Bobby Burnett (vocals, guitar).
Liner Note Author: Larry Zwisohn.
Photographers: Nick Noble; Steve Butts.
Arranger: Steve Butts.
The Highwaymen are generally regarded as also-rans in what Martin Mull dubbed "the Folk Scare," but while Peter, Paul & Mary and the Kingston Trio are better remembered, these five earnest young men from Wesleyan University (Dave Fisher, Steve Butts, Bobby Burnett, Steve Trott, and Chan Daniels) made a handful of fine records between 1961 and 1964, and this collection features material from their vintage albums for United Artists as well as newer recordings the reunited group cut in the 21st century. Formed in 1958, the members of the Highwaymen made no bones about the fact they played folk music simply because they liked it without much thought of a career -- they opted to finish their senior year in college rather than play music full-time when their first album began to sell, and only one pursued a career in music after the act folded in 1964. While these guys doubtless had a low hip quotient even at the peak of their stardom (their biggest hit was"Michael, Row the Boat Ashore," after all), there's an unpretentious joy in their '60s recordings that's infectious, and the boys were uniformly fine singers, bringing expert harmonies to such chestnuts as "Cottonfields," "The Gypsy Rover," "The Big Rock Candy Mountain, and "I'll Fly Away." In the '90 the original members of the Highwaymen (minus Daniels, who died in 1975) performed a few reunion shows, and have been playing a handful of concerts every year since, and this disc includes five songs from their reunion shows, which reveal the Highwaymen's simple charm and love of the music haven't faded a bit some forty years on. EMI's 1992 CD collection Michael, Row The Boat Ashore: The Best of the Highwaymen is still the best representation of the group's work, but this is an engaging look at their past and present that should please fans of '50s and '60s folk. ~ Mark Deming
Michael, Row the Boat Ashore: The Best of the Highwaymen (CD)(17)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Folk genre:
- Woody Guthrie Golden Classics, Part 2 - Immortal Woody Guthrie (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Tim Hardin This Is Tim Hardin (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain Gang, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Burl Ives The Best of Little Bitty Tear (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Peter, Paul and Mary 50 Years with Peter Paul and Mary (DVD) ~
$12.14 Super Savings
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Best of Chicago Garage Bands - The Quill Records Story (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- The Herd Very Best of I Can Fly (Featuring Peter Frampton) (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 3 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE