Mario Adnet Jobim Jazz
- Released: February 13, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Adventure Music
Global Rhythm (Publication) (p.43) - "This disc is a great document of some overlooked works by one of Brazil's most important composers, and a fitting tribute to the master."
- $0.99 on iTunes1.Domingo Sincopado [Syncopated Sunday]
- $0.99 on iTunes2.Quebra Pedra [Stone Flower]
- $0.99 on iTunes3.Sue Ann
- $0.99 on iTunes4.Tema Jazz [Jazz Theme]
- $0.99 on iTunes5.Rancho Nas Nuvens [Ranch in the Clouds]
- $0.99 on iTunes6.Surfboard
- $0.99 on iTunes7.Meninos Eu Vi [Hey Boys, I Saw It]
- $0.99 on iTunes8.So Danco Samba [I Dance Samba]
- $0.99 on iTunes9.Paulo Voo Livre [Paulo Free Flight]
- $0.99 on iTunes10.Valsa Do Porto Das Caixas [Porto Das Caixas Waltz]
- $0.99 on iTunes11.Frevo De Orfeu [Orpheus's Frevo]
- $0.99 on iTunes12.Bate Boca [Shouting]
- $0.99 on iTunes13.Polo Pony
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Mario Adnet (vocals, guitar); Joana Adnet (vocals); Helio Delmiro (guitar); Andr‚ Siqueira, Ricardo Silveira (electric guitar); Marcelo Martins (flute, tenor saxophone); Paulo Guimaraes (alto flute); Marcos Nimrichter (accordion, piano, Fender Rhodes piano); Nailor Proveta (clarinet, alto saxophone); Dirceu Leitte (bass clarinet, alto saxophone); Eduardo Neves (tenor saxophone); Henrique Band (baritone saxophone); Vander Nascimento (trumpet, flugelhorn); Jess‚ Sadoc (flugelhorn); Phillip Doyle (French horn); Vittor Santos (trombone); Jorge Helder (acoustic bass); Rafael Barata (drums); Armando Mar‡al (percussion).
Audio Mixer: Marcio Gama.
Liner Note Author: Mario Adnet.
Recording information: Mega Studios, Rio DeJaneiro (08/07/2006-08/22/2006); Monoaural Studio, Rio DeJaneiro (08/07/2006-08/22/2006).
Director: Mario Adnet.
Arranger: Mario Adnet.
Although we often think of Antonio Carlos Jobim's bossa nova material as a kind of jazz, it isn't really, although he was familiar with the genre and often used its inflections and moods. With this album, however, Jobim definitely becomes jazzy. Guitarist Mario Adnet set out to do two things -- keep the Brazilian roots of the music faithfully intact, but also give jazz arrangements, including horns, to the pieces, some of which have rarely been heard. He's succeeded beautifully in both aims. His charts capture the subtle melodies and gorgeous sprung rhythms, but offer a full sound, with room for improvisation. Kudos, too, to the band, who play superbly throughout, while the singing is understated (even that of Joyce on "Paulo Voo Livre"), keeping the focus firmly on the instrumentalists. Adnet is obviously a scholar of Jobim's work, and a passionate fan, with a deep desire to bring more people to Jobim's music, and to highlight the jazz elements in it. It becomes more than an academic exercise, and the lulling, often beautiful sound is filled with little inventions that propel it along. ~ Chris Nickson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
99¢ on SALE