- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 52 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: August 5, 2003
- Originally Released: 1963
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.39
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 08/15/2003
"...Directed with remarkable visual flair by Robert Wise…...THE HAUNTING is a truly terrifying ghost story..."
Variety - 10/27/2003
"Frightfests come no better than old dark-house chiller THE HAUNTING..."
Total Film - 01/01/2004
"Wise stacks up scares through sound, shadow and suggestion."
A paranormal investigator invites a trio of people to help him examine Hill House, a sinister family estate haunted by the angry souls from its troubled past. While Eleanor (Julie Harris) looks for an escape from the memory of her recently-deceased mother, she becomes increasingly obsessed with the history of the huge, ominous house. Based on Shirley Jackson's lyrical novel, THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE, and one of the most frightening psychological horror films ever made, featuring virtually no blood, gore, or monsters for its effective scares.
Based On A Novel |
Essential Cinema |
Haunted Houses |
Psychic Forces |
- Theatrical Release: September 18, 1963.
- Adapted from Shirley Jackson's classic story, "The Haunting of Hill House."