- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 12, 2009
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: MGM (Video & DVD)
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Mono - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Steven Jay Rubin, John Cork - James Bond Historians
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
Behind the Scenes:
- "Bond, James Bond"
- "A 3 Ring Circus"
- "More Directors, More Stars"
- "The Making of Casino Royale"
- "The Big Climax"
- "It's a Wrap!"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
David Niven &
Bernard Cribbins &
Robert Parrish &
Ben Hecht &
Charles K. Feldman &
Director of Photography:
Nicolas Roeg &
This swinging spoof of Ian Fleming's spy hero features an aging James Bond (David Niven), reluctantly dragged out of retirement to chase down the evil crime clique called SMERSH. In order to confound the forces led by the villainous Le Chiffre (Orson Welles), the Secret Service enlists five other agents, also under the name "Bond," and all six converge on the titular casino. Meanwhile, Woody Allen, as the retiring secret agent's nephew, causes havoc at every turn.
The gleefully chaotic product of five directors, numerous screenwriters, and the late 1960s in general, CASINO ROYALE revels in its psychedelic spy satire premise. The comedy features a legion of stars in roles both large and small: Niven, Welles, Allen, Peter Sellers, Ursula Andress, William Holden, Jean-Paul Belmondo, Jacqueline Bisset, Deborah Kerr, and many more. (Apparently, Sellers and Welles despised each other, and Sellers would frequently not show up for his scenes.) Amid the wackiness, there are genuine moments of hilarity, making the film a surreal romp through Bond lore and the more eccentric aspects of 1960s pop culture.
This stupendous spoof of James Bond films tells of the super agent's plans for retirement. When he relinquishes his authority to this bungling nephew, the results are disastrous.
Essential Cinema |
Mad Doctor |
- Theatrical Release: April 28, 1967
- Shot in Technicolor.
- The budget for CASINO ROYALE is estimated at around $12 million.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 181 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- UPC: 027616092861
- Shipping Weight: 0.28/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item