- Rated: R
- Run Time: 1 hours, 21 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: October 16, 2007
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: HBO Home Video
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Lili Taylor &
Seth Zvi Rosenfeld,
Kris Parker &
Julie Dash &
Seth Zvi Rosenfeld,
Angela Todd &
Richard Guay &
This offbeat HBO production features a series of 10 short films representing the unpredictable true experiences of those varied, brave souls who dared to test the waters of the New York City subways. Jonathan Demme's SUBWAY CAR FROM HELL follows the journey of an unassuming man on his way to work. Craig McKay's THE RED SHOES deals with the issue of panhandlers and whether they are who they say they are. Bob Balaban's THE 5:24 watches a Wall Street broker learn a valuable life lesson from a seemingly apparent everyman. Patricia Benoit's FERN'S HEART OF DARKNESS plays on one white woman's paranoia and prejudice. Seth Rosenfeld's THE LISTENERS teaches a girlfriend to pay attention a little more closely. Lucas Platt's UNDERGROUND is a young male's fantasy come to life. Alison Maclean's HONEY-GETTER allows a sexually harassed young woman the chance to get revenge. Julie Dash's SAX CANTOR RIFF ingeniously exhibits the variety of music the underground has to offer. Abel Ferrara's LOVE ON THE A TRAIN is another erotic fantasy about a married man who embarks on a silent affair with a random passenger. Finally, Ted Demme's MANHATTAN MIRACLE is a hopeful tale about a man who is about to watch a pregnant woman jump in front of an approaching train. At turns humorous, ironic, and poignant, SUBWAY STORIES provides an entertaining glimpse into the unpredictable underbelly of New York City.
SUBWAY STORIES presents a series of 10 short films about people braving New York City's famous (and infamous) subway system.
Big Business |
Big City |
Short Stories |
- An HBO Original Movie, SUBWAY STORIES first premiered on the HBO network on August 17, 1997.
- Filmed on location in New York City.
- The film's opening title card reads: "In 1995, HBO invited New Yorkers to send in their stories of life on the New York City subway. Over 1,000 people responded. The results are..." The closing credits thank the winning contestants whose stories inspired the films: Kathryn Drury, Richard Marin, Jack Satter, Joseph Bulgatz, Kurt Sass, Wayne Chrostowski, Edna McCown, Maurice & Ruth Reece, Nathan Prince.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 24,208
- UPC: 026359139727
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item