Battleship Potemkin (2-DVD)
|CYBER SALE:||$22.81 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$7.14 (24% Off)|
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 9 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Released: October 23, 2007
- Originally Released: 1925
- Label: Kino Video
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround
- Subtitles - English - optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Documentary: TRACING BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Vladimir Barsky, Mikhail Goronov & Grigori Alexandrov|
|Directed by||Sergei Eisenstein|
"...A tour de force of fast-paced montage, unmatched in the silent era..."
"POTEMKIN is still frantic, robust, tantalising political film-making..."
"[A] dazzling piece of virtuoso filmmaking....Packed with movement, incident and beauty, this is no fusty museum piece but a thrilling jolt of pure cinematic adrenaline."
5 stars out of 5 -- "Eisenstein's masterpiece is still guaranteed to get the pulse racing."
Description by OLDIES.com:
For eight decades, Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 masterpiece has remained the most influential silent film of all time. Yet each successive generation has seen Battleship Potemkin subjected to censorship and re-cutting, its unforgettable power diluted in unauthorized public domain editions from dubious sources. Until now. Kino is proud to join the Deutsche Kinematek in association with Russia's Goskinofilm, the British Film Institute, Bundesfilm Archive Berlin, and the Munich Film Museum in presenting this all new restoration of Battleship Potemkin. Dozens of missing shots have been replaced, and all 146 title cards restored to Eisenstein's specifications. Edmund Meisel's definitive 1926 score, magnificently rendered by the 55-piece Deutches Filmorchestra in 5.1 Stereo Surround, returns Eisenstein's masterwork to a form as close to its creator's bold vision as has been seen since the film's triumphant 1925 Moscow premiere.
- In 1948 and 1958, an international critics poll selected POTEMKIN as the best film ever made.
- Although innocent citizens were killed in Odessa, the massacre depicted there never occurred.
- The film has been banned in many places throughout the world because of its content.
- The film is a distillation of what was originally intended as a multipart epic.
- The film was made to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Odessa uprising.
- Sergei Eisenstein is one of the most prestigious film directors and theorists in cinema history. He advocated the use of montage, in which editing communicates the meaning and emotion of a scene. The Odessa Steps sequence contains more than 1,300 shots to show an action that realistically would have taken only a few minutes; here it draws out the horror of the attack.
- The Odessa Steps sequence has been paid homage to dozens of times over the years, in everything from Brian De Palma's THE UNTOUCHABLES to Woody Allen's BANANAS to THE NAKED GUN films.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 99 ratings.
Top ranking titles in the Silent Films genre:
- The Pace That Kills (1928 Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- The Average Woman (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Clara Bow Double Feature: My Lady of Whims (1925) (Silent) / Black Oxen (1923) (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- A Clouded Name (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
- Free To Love (Silent) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 CYBER SALE
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
- Annie (DVD) ~ $2.98 CYBER SALE
- Burt Reynolds Comedy Triple Feature: Gator / Breaking In / Fuzz (2-DVD) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.19 CYBER SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $1.79 CYBER SALE
© 2016 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.