Richard Thompson Strict Tempo
Only 7 copies left
|You Save:||$8 (73% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Audio Cassette Details
- All "ZCAS" cassettes are in new and never-played condition. Most are sealed. However, product may have manufacturer's delete notch, drill hole or prior sale stickers.
- Released: June 5, 2012
- Originally Released: 1981
- Label: Hannibal Records
Q - 11/92, p.1414 Stars - Excellent - "...one of the lesser-known delights of Thompson's catalogue...some of the gentlest, most lyrical work of his career..."
Musician - 4/93, p.92"...where else are you gonna hear his formidable guitar chops on classics like 'The New Fangled Flogging Reel?'..."
Vox (12/92, p.92) - 7 - Very Good - "...a collection of instrumentals featuring his multi-tracked playing on the guitar, the mandolin, mandocello, banjo, dulcimer and more...Toetapping, restful, exquisite..."
- 1.New Fangled Flogging Reel / Kerry Reel
- 2.Vaillance Polka Militaire / Belfast Polka
- 3.Scott Skinner Medley: Glencoe / Scott Skinner's Rockin' Step / Bonny Banc
- 4.Banish Misfortune
- 5.Dundee Hornpipe / Poppy / Leaf Hornpipe
- 6.Do It for My Sake
- 7.Rockin' in Rhythm
- 8.The Random Jig
- 9.The Grinder
- 10.Will Ye No Cam Back Again / Cam O'Er the Stream Charlie / Ye Banks and BR
- 11.Rufty Tufty / Nonsuch a la Mode de France
- 12.Andalus / Radio Marakesh
- 13.The Knife Edge
Personnel: Richard Thompson (acoustic & electric guitars, mandolin, bass, harmonium, dobro), Dave Mattacks (drums, percussion, piano on "Ye Banks And Braes").
Recorded at B.T.W. Studios, London and Woodworm Studios, Cropedy, England.
Includes liner notes by Richard Thompson.
Personnel: Richard Thompson (vocals, guitar); John Kirkpatrick (accordion); Dave Mattacks (piano, drums, percussion).
Recording information: B.T.W. Studios, Wood Green, London, England; Woodworm Studios, Cropredy.
While some listeners have expressed mixed degrees of enthusiasm with Richard Thompson's often down-beat work as a songwriter and his sometimes craggy vocals, no one has ever argued his gifts as an instrumentalist, and on Strict Tempo! Thompson lets loose on an instrumental collection of traditional British and Celtic jigs and reels, with a swinging Duke Ellington cover thrown in for variety and one new original offered as the finale. Thompson multi-tracks himself playing a variety of acoustic and electric guitars, basses, mandolins, and dulcimers with his usual (i.e., dazzling) degree of dexterity, with only percussionist Dave Mattacks for company on most of the tunes. If the performances don't quite match the head-spinning ferocity of the traditionally based folk-rock he pioneered with Fairport Convention on Liege and Lief and Full House, Thompson was certainly a better player in 1981 than he was when he left Fairport, and the arrangements reveal a degree of taste, imagination, and subtle wit that's second to none. Strict Tempo! was a pet project of Thompson's, originally released on his own label, and it sometimes sounds like it was created more for his own amusement than anything else, but even in its more esoteric moments, it shows one of the finest guitarists on Earth showing just how well he can play, and that's always a pleasure to hear. ~ Mark Deming
Grizzly Man: The Life and Death of Timothy Treadwell (WS) (DVD)(444)
$10.62 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 10 ratings.
Based on 10 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
American Songs of The Revolution & Civil War Era (CD)(2)
$1.98 on SALE
American Folksay Ballads And Dances, Volumes 5-6 / Chain... (CD)(4)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking Audio Cassette:
- Lynyrd Skynyrd What's Your Name (Cassette) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Millennium's Greatest Hits, Volume 1 (Audio Cassette) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Ultimate Oldies Collection, The Anniversary Edition - The 70's (Audio Cassette) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Atrophy Violent By Nature (Cassette) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Prince Lovesexy (Cassette) ~ $2.98 on SALE