King of Kings (Widescreen)
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
- Vintage Documentary: The Camera's Window Of The World
- Premiere Newsreels
- Theatrical Trailer
- Language: English, French
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 2 hours, 51 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 25, 2003
- Originally Released: 1961
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Mono 1.0 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage: Newsreels (2)
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Featurette: THE CAMERA'S WINDOW OF THE WORLD
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Siobhan McKenna, Robert Ryan, Hurd Hatfield, Viveca Lindfors, Harry Guardino, Rip Torn & Ron Randell|
|Directed by||Nicholas Ray|
|Edited by||Harold F. Kress & Renee Lichtig|
|Screenwriting by||Philip Yordan|
|Composition by||Miklos Rozsa|
|Cinematography by||Franz Planer & Manuel Berenguer|
|Produced by||Samuel Bronston|
|Director of Photography:||Milton Krasner|
Description by OLDIES.com:
Who is Jesus and why does he powerfully impact all he meets? He is respected and reviled, emulated and accused, beloved, betrayed and finally crucified. Yet that terrible fate would not be the end of the story.
The scale is huge (7,000 extras in the Sermon on the Mount scene alone). The mood is reverent. The music is another milestone in the career of composer Miklos Rozsa. The performances of a splendid cast - with charismatic Jeffrey Hunter at the center - are real and moving. From the producer of the epic spectaculars El Cid and The Fall Of The Roman Empire and the director of Rebel Without A Cause and 55 Days At Peking comes a vivid retelling of the world's greatest story, the saga of the Nazarene who would be King Of Kings.
"King of Kings" is built upon a series of narrative parallels and contrasts between Jesus and Barrabas. The film portrays the thief as a rebel leader of the Jewish resistance; unlike Jesus, who preaches a message of peace, Barrabas advocates violence as a means to an end. By building his drama around this religious and philosophical conflict, Ray establishes a tension that defamiliarizes this well-known story.
Highlights include the Sermon on the Mount and the scene in which Salome asks King Herod for the head of John the Baptist.
- Originally a 70mm production, shot in Super Technirama.
- A silent version of the life of Christ, also called "King of Kings," was directed by Cecil B. de Mille in 1927. The cast included H.B. Warner (Christ); Jacqueline Logan (Mary Magdalene); Joseph Schildkraut (Judas); Ernest Torrence (Peter); Victor Varconi (Pontius Pilate); Dorothy Cummings (Mary, mother of Jesus); and Rudolph Schildkraut (Caiaphas).
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 162 ratings.
Watched this as a child growing up and to this day as a Grandpa, it is still an excellent movie!
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Golden Age of Cartoons: Cultoons! Rare, Lost and Strange Cartoons! Ads and Oddities (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
Roger Corman Drive-In Collection (6-DVD)
$6.29 Super Savings
- Gypsy (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- The FBI Story (DVD) ~ $5.98 on SALE
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.