Rising Sons Rising Sons Featuring Taj Mahal & Ry Cooder
LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|You Save:||$2.01 (25% Off)|
or Mix & Match 10 CDs for $49.90
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: February 1, 2008
- Originally Released: 2008
- Label: Sbme Special Mkts.
Rolling Stone - 3/18/93, p.423.5 Stars - Very Good - "...These 22 rousing performances show the Rising Sons to be the missing link between Beatlemania and the late-'60s electric-blues explosion, an exciting, highly commercial proposition that missed stardom by just a hairbreath..."
Q - 9/93, pp.102-1034 Stars - Excellent - "...a classic debut..."
Option - Jan/Feb 93, p.109"...gives a revealing look at Mahal's influences and a taste of how blues and folk were influencing the mid-60s shift to psychedelia..."
Stereo Review (12/92, p.102) - "...when everything clicks, I defy the hair on the back of your neck not to stand up....here's a 'lost' album that genuinely deserves exhumation....Not to be missed..."
Stereophile (2/93, p.219) - "...you'll find here the same crisp, clear, uncluttered arrangements that Taj [later] perfected....a stone delight, and a lot more than a historical footnote..."
- 1.Statesboro Blues
- 2.If the River Was Whiskey (Divin' Duck Blues)
- 3.By and by (Poor Me)
- 4.Candy Man
- 5.2:10 Train
- 6.Let the Good Times Roll
- 7..44 Blues
- 8.11th Street Overcrossing
- 9.Corrin, Corrina
- 10.Tulsa County
- 11.Walkin' Down the Line
- 12.The Girl With Green Eyes
- 13.Sunny's Dream
- 14.Spanish Lace Blues
- 15.The Devil's Got My Woman
- 16.Take a Giant Step
- 17.Flyin' So High
- 18.Dust My Broom
- 19.Last Fair Deal Gone Down
- 20.Baby, What You Want Me to Do?
- 21.Statesboro Blues - (take 2)
- 22.I Got a Little - (mono)
Rising Sons: Ry Cooder (vocals, 6- & 12-string guitars, mandolin, slide guitar, dobro); Jesse Lee Kincaid (vocals, guitar); Taj Mahal (vocals, harmonica, guitar piano); Gary Marker (bass); Kevin Kelley (drums, percussion).
Compilation producers: Amy Herot, Bob Irwin.
Original tracks recorded in Hollywood, California between September 9, 1965 and May 18, 1966. New Taj Mahal vocal tracks for "Dust My Broom," "Last Fair Deal Gone Down" and "Baby, What You Want Me To Do?" recorded in New York, New York on June 19, 1992. Includes liner notes by Marc Kirkeby.
In 1966 Ry Cooder was a young multi-instrumentalist with a keen interest in traditional American music. He met a similarly inclined singer called Taj Mahal, with whom he formed the Rising Sons. Countless British groups had previously combined blues with Beatles-influenced rock, but such a combination was a surprising rarity in mid-'60s California. On their sole album, the Rising Sons delve deeper than those groups for their influences, bypassing the Chicago Blues sound in favor of traditional Delta country blues.
They cover staples of the Delta repertoire like "Candyman, "The Devil's Got My Woman" and "32-20," where Cooder's nimble picking and unearthly slide mesh well with Mahal's hearty, soulful vocals. Far from revivalists, they play fast and loose with tradition--the Delta feel is offset by plenty of British Invasion-flavored rock (and "32-20" is given an Otis Redding-style treatment). The Rising Sons synthesize styles in such an effective and inventive manner that a new blues paradigm is created.
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 16 ratings.
Based on 16 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 9,368
- UPC: 886972438221
- Shipping Weight: 0.20/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Rock & Pop: Folk Rock Music Categories:
- Shawn Amos Thank You Shirl-ee May [A Love Story] (DualDisc) (CD) ~ $16.13 on SALE
$15.39 Super Savings
- Eric Andersen Vanguard Visionaries (CD) ~ $10.78
Love & Affection: The Very Best of Joan Armatrading (CD)
$9.90 Super Savings
- Joan Baez David's Album [Bonus Tracks] (CD) ~ $16.18
Top ranking titles in the Bargain Audio CDs & Priceless Collection series:
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Classics (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Grace Slick Best of Grace Slick (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- George Shearing The Best of George Shearing (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop As Seen On TV, Volume 6 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists #1 Hits of the Summer: Summer Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE