Flower Drum Song [Original Broadway Cast Recording]
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$0.90 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Released: May 18, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Sony
- 1.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. Overture
- 2.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. You Are Beautiful
- 3.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. A Hundred Million Miracles
- 4.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. I Enjoy Being A Girl
- 5.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. I Am Going To Like It Here
- 6.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. Like A God
- 7.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. Chop Suey
- 8.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. Don't Marry Me
- 9.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. Grant Avenue
- 10.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. Love, Look Away
- 11.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. At The Celestial Bar: Fan Tan Fannie / Gliding Through My Memoree / Grant Avenue (reprise)
- 12.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 1. Entr'acte
- 13.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 2. The Other Generation
- 14.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 2. Sunday
- 15.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 2. The Other Generation (reprise)
- 16.Flower Drum Song, musical: Act 2. Wedding Parade / A Hundred Million Miracles (reprise)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Principal cast includes: Miyoshi Umeki, Larry Blyden, Juanita Hall, Ed Kennedy, Pat Suzuki, Arabella Hong, Jack Soo.
All words written by Oscar Hammerstein II. All music composed by Richard Rodgers.
Principal cast: Ida Shepley (Madam Liang), Mei Juan Chang (Liu Ma), George Minami (Wang San), Kevin Scott (Wang Ta), George Pastell (Wang Chi Yang), Tim Herbert (Sammy Fong), Zed Zakari (Dr. Li), Yau Shan Tung, Sonya Hana (Mei Li), Yama Saki, Naomi Kimura (Linda Low), Michael Kan (Mr. Huan), John A. Tinn (Mr. Lung), Joan Pethers (Helen Chao), Mhicheil Kennedy (Professor Cheng), Leon Thau (Frankie Wing), Ruth Silvestre (Nightclub Singer), David Toguri (Head Waiter), Thomas Hare (Dr. Lu Fong), Marie Yang (Madam Fong).
Recorded at the Palace Theatre, London, England. Includes liner notes by Rexton S. Bunnett.
Digitally remastered by Steve Rooke and Vic Lanza.
Music written by Richard Rodgers. Lyrics written by Oscar Hammerstein.
Principal cast includes: Miyoshi Umeki (Mei Li), Larry Blyden (Sammy Fong), Juanita Hall (Madam Liang), Ed Kenney (Wang Ta), Keye Luke (Wang Chi Yang), Arabella Hong (Helen Chao), Pat Suzuki (Linda Low).
Producer: Goddard Lieberson.
Reissue producers: Didier C. Deutsch, Darcy M. Proper
Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York, New York on December 7, 1958. Includes liner notes by Didier C. Deutsch.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Liner Note Authors: Didier C. Deutsch; George B. Dale.
Recording information: Columbia 30th Street Studio, New York, NY (12/07/1958).
Director: Gene Kelly .
Ensembles: Maureen Tiongco; Marion Jim; Robert Lorca; Fumi Akimoto; Pat Griffith; David Toguri; George Young ; Paula Chin; George Li; George Minami; Vicki Racimo; Yuriko; Jose Ahumada; Shawnee Smith; Wonci Lui; Helen Fumai; Mary Huie; Victor Duntiere; David Lober; Denise Quan; Bett Kawamura; Mabel Wing; Jo Anne Miya; Baayork Lee.
Photographer: Don Hunstein.
Among the nine Broadway musicals of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, three treat issues of Asian culture and its interaction with the West: SOUTH PACIFIC, THE KING AND I, and FLOWER DRUM SONG. FLOWER DRUM SONG is unusual in that it is actually set in the U.S. in the late 1950s and exclusively features Asian characters, specifically Chinese immigrants and Chinese Americans in San Francisco's Chinatown. Thus, lyricist Hammerstein (who co-wrote the show's book with Joseph Fields, based on a novel by C.Y. Lee) could juxtapose traditional Chinese attitudes with current Western ones, while Rodgers made only modest nods to Asian styles in his familiar-sounding Broadway tunes. The show was also unusual as Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals went in that it was neither a big hit nor a flop, but instead a modest success running about a year-and-a-half after its opening in December 1958. For this reissue, researchers have dug into the vaults of the RCA Victor Records catalog and come up with some interesting versions contemporary to the show's era, including a pop/rock reading of "Grant Avenue" by Florence Henderson and a lively interpretation of the vaudeville number "Fan Tan Fannie" by Sandra Church recorded shortly before she appeared on Broadway as Gypsy Rose Lee in the musical Gypsy.
Zero MostelFiddler on the Roof (Original Broadway Cast Recording)...
SoundtrackThe King and I [Original Movie Soundtrack Recording]
$8.84 Super Savings
Mitch LeighMan of La Mancha [Original Broadway Cast] [Bonus Tracks]
$9.72 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 26 ratings.
Based on 26 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD)
$2.98 on SALE