The Jazz Singer
|You Save:||$8 (53% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours
- Video: Color
- Released: February 7, 2012
- Originally Released: 1959
- Label: Inception
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Featurette with Jerry's son Chris on the restoration of the Jazz Singer
- Behind-the-scenes photo gallery
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Directed by||Ralph Nelson|
|Screenwriting by||Ralph Nelson|
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!"
Originally aired in 1959 as an installment of NBC's Lincoln Mercury Startime, Jerry Lewis' earnest tribute to the landmark 1927 Al Jolson film (the first feature to use synchronized sound) tells the tale of a Jewish nightclub crooner who is forced to weigh his career ambitions against his devotion to family after being given a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The last in a long line of Jewish cantors, Joey Rabinowitz (Lewis) forsakes singing in the synagogue to entertain audiences as a jazz singer and comedian. Meanwhile, Joey's disapproving father (Eduard Franz) makes no attempts to conceal his disappointment in the fact that his son has gone secular. Just as Joey is beginning to feel as if fame isn't in the cards, a prominent television starlet invites him to perform before a national audience. The very same night that Joey is scheduled to make his big television debut, however, his father's health takes a sudden turn for the worse as he prepares to sing the "Kol Nidre" for their synagogue's Yom Kippur service. Now, with stars in his eyes and his dreams within reach, Joey must choose between taking his one shot at fame, or maintaining family tradition when his father needs him most. Silent film star Molly Picon, Italian actress/singer Anna Maris Alberghetti, and husky character actor Alan Reed (the voice of Fred Flintstone) also star.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking titles in the Musicals & The Arts genre:
- Rock Rock Rock! (Includes Bonus 1955 Rhythm & Blues Review) (DVD-R) ~ $5.95 on SALE
- Gypsy (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Singin' in the Rain (60th Anniversary) (DVD) ~ $6.98 on SALE
- The Unsinkable Molly Brown (DVD-R) ~ $14.39 on SALE
- Annie (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
Top ranking DVD:
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- 3 Pack Westerns: The Way West / Escort West / Chato's Land (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Scarlett - Complete Mini-Series (DVD) ~ $8.98 on SALE
- Redneck Zombies (20th Anniversary Edition) (DVD + CD Soundtrack) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Dirty Dozen / Stalag 17 (2-DVD) ~ $5.98 on SALE