- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: August 21, 2001
- Label: Sony
Rolling Stone - 9/22/94, p.983 Stars
- Good - "...this compilation presents the '60s and '70s sanitized -- it's a triumph of fortysomething marketing..."
Q - 11/94, p.1384 Stars
- Excellent - "...this is excellent, chiefly because obvious selections...are interspersed with choices from the interstices of pop history...Compiled by the possessor of a good record collection, clearly..."
NME (Magazine) - 10/22/94, p.47
7 - Very Good - "...an excellent, if somewhat overtly sentimental, romp through modern American pop culture..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Hound Dog - Elvis Presley
- 2.Rebel Rouser - Duane Eddy
- 3.But I Do, (I Don't Know Why) - Clarence "Frogman" Henry
- 4.Walk Right In - The Rooftop Singers
- 5.Land Of 1000 Dances - Wilson Pickett
- 6.Blowin' In The Wind - Joan Baez
- 7.Fortunate Son - Creedence Clearwater Revival
- 8.I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) - The Four Tops
- 9.Respect - Aretha Franklin
- 10.Rainy Day Women #12 & 35 - Bob Dylan
- 11.Sloop John B - The Beach Boys
- 12.California Dreamin' - The Mamas & The Papas
- 13.For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield
- 14.What The World Needs Now Is Love - Jackie DeShannon
- 15.Break On Through (To The Other Side) - The Doors
- 16.Mrs. Robinson - Simon & Garfunkel
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Volunteers - Jefferson Airplane
- 2.Let's Get Together - The Youngbloods
- 3.San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair) - Scott McKenzie
- 4.Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season) - The Byrds
- 5.Aquarius / Let The Sunshine In - The 5th Dimension
- 6.Everybody's Talkin' - Harry Nilsson
- 7.Joy To The World - Three Dog Night
- 8.Stoned Love - The Supremes
- 9.Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head - B.J Thomas
- 10.Mr. President (Have Pity On The Working Man) - Randy Newman
- 11.Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
- 12.Running On Empty - Jackson Browne
- 13.It Keeps You Runnin' - The Doobie Brothers
- 14.Go Your Own Way - Fleetwood Mac (bonus track)
- 15.I've Got To Use My Imagination - Gladys Knight & The Pips
- 16.On The Road Again - Willie Nelson
- 17.Against The Wind - Bob Seger & Silver Bullet Band
- 18.Forrest Gump Suite - Alan Silvestri
"I'm Forrest...Forrest Gump (The Feather Theme)" ("Forrest Gump Suite" by Alan Silvestri) was nominated for Best Pop Instrumental Performance in the 37th Annual Grammy Awards.
Digitally remastered by Dave Donnelly (DNA Mastering, Studio City, California).
Not since THE BIG CHILL has America been as captivated by a soundtrack as it has by FORREST GUMP. While THE BIG CHILL was more or less Motown-era songs geared towards baby-boomers, FORREST GUMP is a musical time machine spaced out over two discs. Opening with Elvis Presley's "Hound Dog," this aural odyssey ends with Bob Seger's "Against The Wind" followed by composer Alan Silvestri's instrumental "Forrest Gump Suite." In between, a host of popular genres are represented from the roughly thirty year span covered in the film.
On the first disc there's rockabilly (Duane Eddy), Motown (The Four Tops), folk (Joan Baez), soul (Aretha Franklin), surf music (The Beach Boys), and pop (Jackie De Shannon). The second disc continues with protest music (Jefferson Airplane), more Motown (The Supremes), southern rock (Lynyrd Skynyrd), easy listening (B.J. Thomas), and country (Willie Nelson). This collection is tailor-made for the random button or a CD changer at any party.