- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: October 12, 2010
- Originally Released: 1958
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: New Visual Essay by Bergman Scholar Peter Cowie
- Brief 1967 Video Interview with Director Ingmar Bergman about the Film
- Rare English-language Audio Interview with Bergman, Conducted by Filmmakers Olivier Assayas and Stig Björkman in 1990
- Plus: A booklet featuring excerpts from a 1990 tribute to the film by Assayas, a new essay by critic Geoff Andrew, and an excerpt from Bergman's Autobiography Images: My Life in Film
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
A.V. Club - 11/03/2010
"THE MAGICIAN mixes drama, comedy, suspense, and philosophical inquirty....It's fascinating to watch a younger, less pessimistic Bergman grapple with the question of the supernatural, and whether a well-crafted illusion can be a kind of miracle." -- Grade: A-
Sight and Sound - 01/01/2011
"[T]his odd gothic puzzle might actually be one of the great Swede's most confessional works..."
Written and directed by acclaimed Swedish filmmaker Ingmar Bergman, THE MAGICIAN stars Max von Sydow as Albert Vogler, a traveling magician and spiritualist in 19th-century Sweden. Vogler is forced to give proof of his supernatural powers when he and his companions are detained by a suspicious constable and a sardonic doctor upon entering a town in which they are scheduled to give a performance. Part comedy, part melodrama, and part Gothic thriller, this film is an intriguing character study of a man bearing both the characteristics of a charlatan and a visionary.
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical release: December 26, 1958 (Sweden).
- Theatrical release: August 27, 1959 (NYC).
- Winner of a 1959 Venice Film Festival Special Jury Prize.
- Voted One of the Year's Best Foreign Films by the New York Times.