John Fahey The Dance of Death & Other Plantation Favorites
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: July 6, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Takoma
The Wire - 3/00, p.56"...Strange, flowering, fulsome melodic pieces in open guitar tunings..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 12/99, p.130"...strongly rooted in the traditions of the South....it vibrates with an intensity generated by the truly original."
- 1.Wine and Roses
- 2.How Long
- 3.On the Banks of the Owchita
- 4.Worried Blues
- 5.What the Sun Said
- 6.Revelation on the Banks of the Pawtuxent
- 7.Poor Boy
- 8.Variations on the Coocoo
- 9.The Last Steam Engine Train
- 10.Give Me Corn Bread When I'm Hungry
- 11.Dance of Death
- 12.Tulip (AKA When You Wore a Tulip and I Wore a Big Red Rose)
- 13.Daisy Bell (A Bicycle Built for Two)
- 14.The Siege of Sevastopol
- 15.Steel Guitar Rag
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Solo performer: John Fahey (acoustic guitar).
Producer: Ed Denson.
Reissue producer: Bill Belmont.
Recorded at Adelphi Studios, Silver Spring, Maryland on August 22, 1964. Includes liner notes by Lee Gardner.
Digitally remastered by Joe Tarantino (1999, Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California).
Personnel: John Fahey (guitar).
Audio Remasterer: Joe Tarantino.
Liner Note Author: Lee Gardner.
Recording information: Adelphi Studios, Silver Spring, MD (08/22/1964).
Listening to this classic 1967 LP, the keen-eared might note that the melody to "On The Banks Of The Wichita" was lifted directly from Ravi Shankar's 1962 "Theme From Pather Panchali." (Which is fine because it's a great melody.) John Fahey's method was always to take themes--sections--movements from the great store of American roots music (folk, blues, Tin Pan alley, even classical) and meld them together in an avant-garde genre of his own making. DANCE OF DEATH (1967) is a representative title in the superior run of albums Fahey recorded (and re-recorded) for his own Takoma label throughout the 60s, and speaks to Fahey's reputation for experimentation and eclecticism.
John FaheyDeath Chants, Breakdowns and Military Waltzes [CD]
$10.56 Super Savings
Generations of Folk, Volume 2 - Protest & Politics (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE