Norman Blake Live at McCabe's
Only 4 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.56 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.42 (12% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Fantasy Warehouse Clearance Sale product may be specifically marked for one-way sale
- Released: July 20, 1999
- Originally Released: 1999
- Label: Takoma
Dirty Linen - 12/99-1/00, p.63"...As a flatpicker, composer, and interpreter of old tunes, his reputation is justifiably stellar....it captures Blake at the height of his guitar playing..."
- 1.Introduction By Nancy Covey
- 2.Nine Pound Hammer
- 3.Sweet Heaven When I Die
- 4.Introducing Nancy Blake
- 5.Border Widow
- 6.G Medley: Green Leaf Fancy / Fields Of November / Fort Smith
- 7.Dry Grass On The High Fields
- 8.John Hardy
- 9.Arkansas Traveler
- 10.Bully Of The Town / Bonaparte's Retreat / Richard Avenue Rag
- 11.Harvey's Reel
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Norman Blake (guitar, fiddle); Nancy Blake (cello).
Recorded live at MacCabe's Guitar Shop, Santa Monica, California. Includes liner notes by Bryan Kimsey.
Personnel: Norman Blake (vocals, guitar, fiddle); Nancy Blake (cello).
Audio Remasterer: Kirk Felton.
Recording information: McCabe's Guitar Shop, Santa Mon; McCabes Guitar Shop, Santa Monica, CA.
Long cherished by Norman Blake's fans as one of the greatest flatpicking albums of all time, Live at McCabe's isn't as essential as some of the guitarist's studio records of the time (see Whiskey Before Breakfast), but there's a warm, ramshackle beauty about this concert that is every bit as charming. Originally released on Takoma in 1976, it was out of print for years before an overwhelming fan petition prompted a reissue of the album in 1999. The sound is marvelous and, as one would expect, there's a ton of fine flatpicking here, as well as a rare chance to hear Blake live and in his prime. Joined by then-wife Nancy on three cuts, Blake switches to fiddle for a few tunes, including the lovely "Border Widow." His rendition of "Nine Pound Hammer" is one of the best on record, and equally great is a loose arrangement of "Arkansas Traveler" that finds a number of other half melodies and improvisations darting in and out. Some of these tunes turned up on previous and later studio albums; some he would never record again. ~ Jim Smith
Wheeling West Virginia: October 2, 1976 (Live) (CD)
$16.55 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock (10-CD Set) ~ $19.98 on SALE
- Various Artists KFRC 99.7FM - Motown, Soul & Rock 'N Roll: Rock 'N Roll (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WJMK 104.3 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 60s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Summer Hits: 47-Song Collection (3-CD) ~ $8.98 on SALE