Mike Auldridge Dobro / Blues and Bluegrass
Only 4 copies left
|CYBER WEEK SALE:||$9.88 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$1.10 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: June 4, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Takoma
- 1.Hillbilly Hula
- 2.Tennessee Stud
- 3.It's Over
- 4.Pick Away
- 5.Rollin' Fog
- 6.Dobro Island
- 8.Take Me
- 10.Silver Threads
- 11.Rock Bottom
- 13.House of the Rising Sun
- 14.New Camptown Races
- 15.Mexican Rose
- 16.Killing Me Softly With His Song
- 17.This Ain't Grass
- 18.8 More Miles to Louisville
- 19.The Sum of Marcie's Blues
- 20.Bottom Dollar
- 21.Struttin' the Blues
- 22.Panhandle Country
- 24.Walk, Don't Run
- 25.Everybody Slides
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
2 LPs on 1 CD: DOBRO (1972)/BLUES & BLUEGRASS (1974).
Personnel includes: Mike Auldridge (vocals, guitar, dobro); Linda Rondstadt (vocals); Ben Eldridge (guitar, banjo); John Duffey, Doyle Lawson (guitar, mandolin); David Bromberg, Charlie Waller, John Starling, Ricky Skaggs, Paul Craft, Gerry Mule, Lowell George (guitar); Buck "Josh" Graves (dobro); Vassar Clements (fiddle); Tom Gray, Bill Yates, Steve Burgh, Tom Guidera (bass); Bob Lawrence (drums).
Recorded in New York, York and at Track Recorders, Washington, D.C. in 1972 & 1974. Includes liner notes by Norman Blake and John Crosby.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Mike Auldridge (vocals, guitar, dobro).
Recording information: New York, NY; Track Recorders, Washington DC.
This welcome reissue brings together the first two solo albums by Seldom Scene dobro player Mike Auldridge, each of which was groundbreaking in a different way. While "progressive bluegrass" was already a fully established musical convention by 1972, when Dobro was originally issued, instrumental bluegrass arrangements of material like "Greensleeves" and "House of the Rising Sun" were a bit unusual even in the progressive context, and, to be honest, were not quite as successful as his brilliantly flashy rendition of Lester Flatt's "Pickaway" or the weepy country standard "Silver Threads." The second album presented on this reissue, Blues & Bluegrass, is a bit more consistently rewarding. Most of the tracks are Seldom Scene performances in all but name, with the occasional addition of such stellar guests as Vassar Clements, Ricky Skaggs, and David Bromberg. This album veers happily between barnburning bluegrass ("New Camptown Races," "8 More Miles to Louisville") and soulful blues numbers ("Summertime," "Struttin' the Blues"), with occasional detours into sappy pop ("Killing Me Softly") and, believe it or not, surf-bluegrass fusion ("Walk Don't Run"). All of it manages to be lots and lots of fun. Highly recommended. ~ Rick Anderson
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
25 All-Time Greatest Recordings: The 4-Star Sessions... (CD)
$16.18 CYBER WEEK
Keep on Going: The Rebel & Melodeon Recordings (CD)
$15.08 CYBER WEEK
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$15.08 CYBER WEEK
Top ranking titles in the Country & Bluegrass genre:
- Johnny Cash Original Golden Hits, Volumes 1 & 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Johnny Cash Sings The Greatest Hits / Sings The Blue Train (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Charlie Rich Early Years / The Memphis Sound (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 60s - Groovy Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ CYBER WEEK