- Released: September 23, 2008
- Label: Verve
- 1.Samba de Duas Notas (Two Note Samba)
- 2.Vem So (Come Here, My Love)
- 4.Tristeza (Brazilian Blues)
- 5.Manha De Carnaval (Morning Of The Carnival)
- 6.Silencio Do Amor (The Silence Of Love)
- 7.Domingo A Noite (Sunday Night)
- 8.Ilha De Coral (Coral Island)
- 9.Adeus (Goodbye)
- 10.Quebra Mar (The Sea Wall)
- 11.Amor Que Acabou (The End of Love)
- 12.Chora Tua Tristeza (Cry Your Blues Away)
- 13.Bossa Nova Cha Cha
Personnel includes: Luiz Bonfa (vocals, guitar); Lalo Schifrin (arranger); Maria Helena Toledo (vocals); Leo Wright (flute); Oscar Castro-Neves (piano, organ, guitar); Iko Castro-Neves (bass); Roberto Pontes-Dias (drums, percussion).
Recorded at A&R Recording Studios, New York, New York on December 26 & 31, 1962. Originally released on Verve (8522).
Alongside Joao Gilberto and Antonio Carlos Jobim, Luiz Bonfa (the co-composer of BLACK ORPHEUS) is one of the original trailblazers of the bossa nova sound. Released in 1962 on Verve, PLAYS AND SINGS BOSSA NOVA can safely be certified a classic of the genre. Elegant, lyrical, rhythmic, and a showcase for Bonfa's deft guitar technique and sweet, unassuming singing, PLAYS AND SINGS is an album that will sound good to almost anyone, at any time.