- Introduction by Garland biographer John Fricke
- Vintage Fitzpatrick Traveltalks Shorts: Chicago The Beautiful & Night Life In Chicago
- Theatrical Trailers
- Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 42 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 6, 2004
- Originally Released: 1949
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
In The Good Old Summertime
- a tale of squabbling music-shop clerks who don't know they're romantic pen pals - shares a celebrated movie lineage that includes James Stewart and Margaret Sullavan in The Shop Around The Corner
and Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail
. In between those two, Judy Garland and Van Johnson had mail plus Gold Old
tunes evoking an era of strawboaters and silvery moons.
Sparked by Garland's comedic zest and musical appeal, this confection is "one of the sweetest, most unpretentious entertainments of 1949" (Clive Hirschhorn, The Hollywood Musical). It's also a nostalgic farewell and a sunny hello. Buster Keaton appears in his final film for the studio he first joined in 1928. And Liza Minnelli, all of 18 months young, makes her debut in the finale.
Judy Garland and Van Johnson play pen-pal lovers in this lighthearted, cheerful musical. In turn-of-the-century Chicago, Veronica Fisher and Andrew Larkin are acrimonious co-workers at a musical instrument shop. But what the battling couple doesn't realize is that off-hours they're pen-pals writing to each other anonymously.
They've fallen in love on paper... now can they fall in love for real'
Essential Cinema |
- Two-and-a-half-year-old Liza Minnelli made her first screen appearance in this film.
- Musical adaptation of the film "The Shop Around the Corner" (1940).